1997 Power Steering Pump Keeps failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmax1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a 1997 Ram early last year. Since then, I've driven just over 2000 miles and have had 4 power steering pumps die.

Pump 1 - Original (probably). Died before doing anything to power steering
Pump 2 - Autozone remanufactured. Died after about a month while on a trip. Sounded terrible from installation until death.
Pump 3 - Autozone replacement. Died after roughly 1 year. Again while on a trip. Replaced Steering gear with this pump installed.
Pump 4 - O'reilly remanufactured. Died tonight while backing in my trailer. 140 miles after being installed and driving home from a trip.

When I tow, I've been turning off overdrive and running at 2500 - 2700 RPM. Doesn't seem like this should contribute but since three failures have been after driving 2.5 hours or so and towing a trailer, I mention it.

So the question is... Are the re-manufactured pumps just garbage?
Fluid is ATF+4.
System bled by racking the steering back and fourth until no bubbles.
System fully flushed when putting on steering gear as I replaced all hoses as well.

Is it worth spending for a new pump? Does anyone think this is just bad luck?
If so, should I get the $290 Mopar pump?
Alternative is putting another Autozone / O'reilly pump on and slapping a for sale sign on the truck.

Thank you!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Reman pumps are garbage, I use OEM wherever possible on critical parts.

I’d also install a magnefine filter on the steering hose to capture any contamination circulating from the failed pumps.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnefine-Magnetic-Inline-Transmission-Steering/dp/B0787KWZPS

Around here NAPA sells them also.

Anothe possibility is an obstructed return hose, but you stated it’s new, and I’d expect some noise from that.

Edit: I expect you’ve done the research on the correct fluid. I don’t recall what it is, my 97 retired a long time ago. I have a Mopar Jeep that uses some special PS fluid that is different than ATF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bmax1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm now questioning the fluid. From reading forum posts when I got the truck, it looks like lots of folks are using ATF+4 so that's what I've been using. Fluid in it when I got the truck was pink so it wasn't PS fluid.
Manual says 'Petroleum fluids specially formulated for minimum effect on rubber hoses' and suggests Mopar PS fluid.

I'll switch fluids and flush with my next pump and I like the idea of the magnetic filter. Seems like a good idea with what's going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500