2/4 Drop - Rear Air Bag Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about to pull the trigger on a drop kit. Going with the McGaughy 2/4 deluxe kit. Had one on my 03 for 9 years without a single issue.
I have read that some additional support may be needed in the rear to keep from bottoming out due to shorter springs, and some are using air bags for this.
Anyone using air bags inside the rear springs? If so, which brand and size? Details like part numbers would be greatly appreciated.:help:

OP
OP
chrisb38002

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. Guess I should have checked your site first.:cheers:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the new rear springs, contact Airlift directly with their diameter and length, and they can tell you exactly which kit will fit best.
My rear is 2" lowered but the bags for the stock application still worked best for me. They don't have to be much shorter to work for a lowered application.
In general, I LOVE having the adjustability and they smooth everything out so nicely for towing.

bigdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you have to remove the coil springs to install them bags?

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you're running new air lines, you still have to fight with getting the line onto the barb on top of the bag once its in the coil. I would warm up the bags and try folding them according to instructions first. It may keep you from having to realign the coils and undoing any lower shock bolts.
My coils were so loose it was a 2 person job holding the coil still and not rotating them while getting the line on the barb, then holding it still while jacking the axle up to hold them in place.
Folding and squeezing the bag into the coil was NOT a big deal.

delunad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed mine at the same time I put the drop kit in makes thins easy

bigdragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the bags without removing the coil springs and I'm happy with the ride only riding with 5 psi it does not hit the bumpstops.

partsguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the 2/4 drop but I used the airlift bags for a Durango. They seem to work fine. i think the rear springs are a little soft on the mcgauhys kit. Thinking about going back to factory spindles and getting bel tech springs

OP
OP
chrisb38002

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered the air lift kit for mine and the part number for a lowered ram is listed as "2013 Dodge Durango".
AutoAnything.com carries them, but you have to ask for the specifiic part number. The website kept taking me to the one for a stock height Ram, not lowered.