2.5" Level - Shocks Bottom Out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried a search but didn't see this specific topic. I had the dealer install a Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit on my 19 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Crew Cab because I plow with 9.6' V plow. I had the same level installed on my 2015 with no issues but in my 2019 I’m noticing an occasional ‘thud’ in the right front which sounds to me like the shock bottoming out. I notice it when I hit a deep bump (ie pothole), regardless of speed (even at a crawl).

I had the dealer go over the whole front end but they didn’t find any issues. The shock brackets (part of kit) are installed so it makes no sense to me that the shock would bottom out but that’s exactly what it sounds like. Anyone else experiencing this after leveling?

OP
OP
2015HD

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perhaps it is a bad body mount. I have the same thing happening and I believe it is a bad body mount or mounts.

Also, there is a TSB out for these mounts.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10162537-9999.pdf

Interesting and thanks for sharing, great video. What I see in the video is more of a rattle (what may sound like a vibration in cab) over bumps, mine is more of a distinct 'thud' which only occurs when my front end contacts a deep 'rut'. I live on a gravel road with a few ruts and I drive < 5mph on it, I only notice it on the deep ones and this morning I also noticed on the left front, sounds like it's forward of the A pillar (more in wheel well area). I think I'll fire up my GoPro this weekend and record some videos similar to this one so I can pinpoint it better. First time I noticed it I had 4 people in the truck and they all said 'that didn't sound good' so I know I'm not going crazy :D

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Were the bump stops changed or extended?

OP
OP
2015HD

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not that I'm aware, the kit only comes with the spring spacers and shock mounts.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not that I'm aware, the kit only comes with the spring spacers and shock mounts.

Given the weight your supporting up from now you could be experiencing the coils collapsing together since the bump stops were not extended to match the lift. Look at the springs in between coils and see if anything looks funny. Given that your only feeling it when you hit a bump it wouldn't surprise me but just speculating.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could definitely be the shocks too. On my power wagon, when I installed the 1.5” spacer I left the shock extension off (truxx kit). With a quick measurement, it seemed as if I would be using my shocks as bumpstops since the kit did not come with any bumpstop extensions. Which is certainly a bad thing, and a very possible thing with the weight of a plow hanging off the front of the truck.

I would remove the shock extensions...issue will probably go away.

Drk39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Did you figure out a solution to this? Thanks

OP
OP
2015HD

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you figure out a solution to this? Thanks
I did not and I also set a GoPro up on suspension and drove over all types of terrain, everything looked solid. I also haven't noticed the thud lately so I'm totally baffled.