2001 ram full exhaust questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have an 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 and have been reading into getting a full exhaust done but wanted some input from others that might have a similar setup. Right now everything is stock except the muffler (40 series). And I want to do a true dual setup, my hopes were to do long tube headers - high flow cats - and some form of mufflers. Now I know I want long tubes for sure but was wondering if anyone else has a set on there truck and if so what they think of them?(pacesetter is the only pair I can find that is supposed to work). next it has a y-pipe into one big cat, would it be better to run true dual and run two smaller high flow cats? If so does anybody have a set and do they make a difference? And I think I will run two more 40's after that. Haven't had time to run by a shop so figured asking the forum wouldn't hurt, so what do y'all think? Will this setup work ? Or am I missing something? And if anybody has a setup similar to what I want , could you tell me of you like the setup? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get shorties. There is no good set of long tubes for these trucks and the pace setters are confirmed to make contact with front drive shaft. Now unless you have a huge built motor taking in a ton of air, don't bother with long tubes. For just an exhaust set-up, they are useless. Get a pair of Gibsons shorties is my suggestion. Headers to an x or h-pipe to 2 1/4 dual pipes, 1 cat per side, to mufflers of choice and 2 1/4 tail pipes is what I would do. No need for bigger piping. Hope that helps ya out!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Get shorties. There is no good set of long tubes for these trucks and the pace setters are confirmed to make contact with front drive shaft. Now unless you have a huge built motor taking in a ton of air, don't bother with long tubes. For just an exhaust set-up, they are useless. Get a pair of Gibsons shorties is my suggestion. Headers to an x or h-pipe to 2 1/4 dual pipes, 1 cat per side, to mufflers of choice and 2 1/4 tail pipes is what I would do. No need for bigger piping. Hope that helps ya out!

Couldn't have said it better myself

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I didn't know that about the pacesetters,thanks for the info. But I have heard good thing about Gibson and running an xpipe. Reason for wanting long tubes is I have read that they perform much better. Plus a friend of mine was running stock manifolds to no cats to glasspacks, he put on just long tubes and has gotten about 3 mpg better since and he says he notices a lot more power and it made the truck sound a lot better (even though I don't really like the sound of glasspacks). But you agree it would be better to run true duals at least? So maybe (short tubes - two high flow cats - x pipe - two mufflers - two tips)

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't know that about the pacesetters,thanks for the info. But I have heard good thing about Gibson and running an xpipe. Reason for wanting long tubes is I have read that they perform much better. Plus a friend of mine was running stock manifolds to no cats to glasspacks, he put on just long tubes and has gotten about 3 mpg better since and he says he notices a lot more power and it made the truck sound a lot better (even though I don't really like the sound of glasspacks). But you agree it would be better to run true duals at least? So maybe (short tubes - two high flow cats - x pipe - two mufflers - two tips)

I seriously doubt he got 3mpg from adding longtubes. Highly highly doubt it. What truck? Long tubes perform better on a highly modded motor requiring a higher exhaust flow. For what you're doing shorties are what you need. True duals are the way to go, removing the y pipes removes a ton of exhaust restriction which is where the gains come from. That set-up you posted would work great, just be sure to use 2 1/4 pipe.

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Its like a 1990 ford f150, but Yea not going to lie I have my doubt's about the mpg he can exaggerate a little. But I can say he does seem faster and sounds a ton better.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah totally different truck, you can't compare the results to your truck. Go with the suggested exhaust and you'll be happy man!

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of your restriction is in the y-pipe as stated before. Contrary to belief that some say I have had great luck with pacesetter longtubes but I have had 2wd trucks as well. The Gibson shorties are fine but you don't need a highly modded truck for longtubes. The longtubes, though not equal in length on each primary, still has a better scavenging effect than the shorties. If you are on a budget just get the y-pipe replaced or go true duals.

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Get shorties... Headers to an x or h-pipe to 2 1/4 dual pipes, 1 cat per side, to mufflers of choice and 2 1/4 tail pipes is what I would do. No need for bigger piping. Hope that helps ya out!

True duals on my RC - headers are bought (just not installed), JEGs hi-po cats, Magnaflow glasspacks, and 2 1/4" pipe... for the win! :waytogo:

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have shorties and the bigger y pipe (Magnaflow) to 2.5" exhaust with a si/do super 10. Biggest gain to me was the y pipe replacement. I had headers with the factory y and I didn't gain much until getting a less restrictive y. If anything to maybe a different muffler may help out with some gains too.

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ok so whether I go with Shorty's or long tubes I'll run it down to true duals with two cats (from what I've read, I'll probably go with some sort of high flow). To an x pipe then some mufflers. But one thing I'm wondering is the volume of the setup? Ok so right now I've got one 40 series and its got good tone and once warmed up it can be somewhat loud. But I wouldn't mind it being louder. But if I run two 40's how loud will it be with the other mods? Should I run something smaller like a 10 series to get the volume?

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Super 10's are pretty much straight pipes IMO, mine is plenty loud. If you do a true dual super 10 with an x, post a video id be very interested ;)

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two 40s are going to be loud enough. If you don't want cats then don't get them but that will make the exhaust louder. You can always move the post cat 02 sensor out of the way or put in steel wool with a spark plug non fouler to extend the 02 out of the exhaust stream and keep your CEL from coming on.

OP
OP
C

Coletrain523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I mean I do want cats cause I know how loud it gets without them. And instead of running two regular cats I feel like two high flow cats will be better (less restrictive). But I haven't heard a exhaust with two mufflers so idk how loud it is. And that's what I'm wondering, will a single muffler setup be louder than a two muffler setup?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok so whether I go with Shorty's or long tubes I'll run it down to true duals with two cats (from what I've read, I'll probably go with some sort of high flow). To an x pipe then some mufflers. But one thing I'm wondering is the volume of the setup? Ok so right now I've got one 40 series and its got good tone and once warmed up it can be somewhat loud. But I wouldn't mind it being louder. But if I run two 40's how loud will it be with the other mods? Should I run something smaller like a 10 series to get the volume?

If you're gonna do that wouldn't even bother with mufflers. Super 10's are as posted basically straight pipes.

I mean I do want cats cause I know how loud it gets without them. And instead of running two regular cats I feel like two high flow cats will be better (less restrictive). But I haven't heard a exhaust with two mufflers so idk how loud it is. And that's what I'm wondering, will a single muffler setup be louder than a two muffler setup?

One thing to consider, it may be illegal in your area to not have cats so double check local laws. I'd get 2 high flows and 2 mufflers, or a dual in/out muffler I don't see either being much different.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Have a look in my album there should be photos in there to give u some true dual ideas.