2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7 Engine 245k miles (Question for Ram folks)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJ Earls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7 engine 245k miles on it.

In the last 6 months, I have had a code go off P0505 and once that code goes off there is literally no way to leave the driveway the truck won't start it'll crank then it will die. So I replace the Idle Control Valve. Get this, this has happened 3 times in the last 6 months..This truck was passed down to me by my grandparents when my Uncle died. Now, the code is going off again - can't even start the truck in the cold (hot days it starts and runs fine)

I can leave the driveway but no promises that it won't die on me while stopped at a red light, traffic, stop sign. Some days the code comes up P0505 and sometimes the code doesn't even come up and the truck runs great. I have 245k miles on the truck. I only drive it to work and home and to get the basic household needs. So I don't travel in it or nothing far distances unless I am visiting my grandparents.

Do you guys think it could be a spark plugs going out? I have never really worked on a truck before. My grandfather is the mechanic. He is now too old to do anything so I have to basically either pay someone or do it myself. I would like someones opinion on this on why it sometimes starts and has a great day and the other times that code comes up and I can't leave my house.

I have the money to fix it but I want some type of advice that will be helpful if this happens again in the future. I am going to get the part today and will be checking my spark plugs. Is there anything else I need to look at while I am at it. I just did an oil change with new filter last week.

Thank you all and sorry if this was a stupid question as I said I am not that much experienced in this area. I called Autozone and the guy told me about the code which I already knew about the code because I replaced it so many times and they just read me online posts about it and they don't know. (Everytime I call about the part I want to order) It's like going to Walmart and asking if a movie was good or not.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Have you had the code deleted by using an OBD device? And if you have, does it run after that or just throw the code back up? I may not be able to help, but I'm curious about this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you contacted a dealer to ask what the code is? Even Autozone or one of the other parts stores should be able to look it up. You can't fix it 'til you get that figured out so you know what's malfunctioning, probably. And NO it isn't plugs. You'd get at least occasional misfire long before they got to the point the engine would die.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Have you contacted a dealer to ask what the code is? Even Autozone or one of the other parts stores should be able to look it up. You can't fix it 'til you get that figured out so you know what's malfunctioning, probably. And NO it isn't plugs. You'd get at least occasional misfire long before they got to the point the engine would die.

The code is for the 'Idle Control System'

Here's what you get if you google it:

Begin your P0505 diagnosis by clearing any fault codes stored within the PCM. Next inspect the IAC to ensure it is free from carbon and oil build-up. If you find the IAC clogged with debris, clean the component and reinstall. Start the engine with the IAC connected and inspect for trouble code P0505 to return.

HTH and good luck