2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7L Hemi) possible water pump leaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello All: I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7L Hemi) and I suspect the water pump per the 5.7L Hemi is leaking. The milage is 160,000 miles and based on the milage the original water pump has probably wore out. I just want to confirm my suspicion that the original water pump is indeed in need of replacing. I have attached two picture that might aid in confirming my suspicion. Any confirmation for the members of this forum is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.20231018_094617.jpg20231018_094723.jpg

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That looks like it would be a very, very, very slow leak. It is actually causing you any issues (low coolant/running hot)? If so you may have another leak elsewhere.

OP
OP
C

cparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That looks like it would be a very, very, very slow leak. It is actually causing you any issues (low coolant/running hot)? If so you may have another leak elsewhere.
Hello Sir: The 5.7L Hemi engine is not running hot, however the reserver is slowly dissipating, also I am noticing the coolant running down the passenger side of the engine (where the lower block meets the oil pan and dripping slowly to the ground. Maybe a ounce every day after the engine cools down (if this makes sense).

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea looks like the pump also your belt is shot look at the dry rot your better off replacing both before its a real issue not to bad of a job few hours.

OP
OP
C

cparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea looks like the pump also your belt is shot look at the dry rot your better off replacing both before its a real issue not to bad of a job few hours.
Hello Sir: I noticed the serpentine belt is worn as well. I plan to replace the water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt and spark plugs. It seems an easy DIY job for me. I have performed the replacement of three out of four items on this trunk, but it's a first as far as the water pump is concerned.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
If the leak is coming from that black tube going into your water pump,that is your water pump inlet tube.It only sits in there with an o ring.The tube itself can be replaced for about 25 bucks or just the o ring for much less.However,If that is the original pump,you're probably due.

OP
OP
C

cparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If the leak is coming from that black tube going into your water pump,that is your water pump inlet tube.It only sits in there with an o ring.The tube itself can be replaced for about 25 bucks or just the o ring for much less.However,If that is the original pump,you're probably due.
Hello Sir: It is the original water pump (160,000 miles on the engine). So I decided to order a new water pump just to be safe, as well as other parts I mentioned earlier in this post :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
another check for a leaking water pump..

When your engine is cold, not run for several hours
or
after you disconnect the Negative Post of the Battery

reach under the water pump shaft, if it is WET where you feel the hole under there.

The Water Pump SEAL is bad, time to replace the water pump.

Mileage on that water pump & the period of time, gives you Bragging Rights :)