2003 ram 1500 4.7 engine locked up help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidn Casto

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 ram 1500 slt Quad cab
Engine
4.7 l
I have a 2003 ram 1500 slt I got I just changed oil and flushed cooling system and replace with new antifreeze and ran fine for 2 days. I get up to go to work and when the starter engages i hear a loud thud I know everything is good I check coolant level goo, oil level good, battery voltage good so I got a 21mm socket and turned the crank backwards just fine but when I go forward it locks up at the same spot I even put a breaker bar on it and I broke the socket checked and it still turn backwards fin then forward to the same point and Lock down any help would be greatly appreciated the truck only has 120K miles on it and has never given me any trouble always keep the services up to date.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2003 ram 1500 slt I got I just changed oil and flushed cooling system and replace with new antifreeze and ran fine for 2 days. I get up to go to work and when the starter engages i hear a loud thud I know everything is good I check coolant level goo, oil level good, battery voltage good so I got a 21mm socket and turned the crank backwards just fine but when I go forward it locks up at the same spot I even put a breaker bar on it and I broke the socket checked and it still turn backwards fin then forward to the same point and Lock down any help would be greatly appreciated the truck only has 120K miles on it and has never given me any trouble always keep the services up to date.
The next step I would take would be to remove the valve covers and see if either timing chain is loose. Then, I would remove every single rocker arm with a flat blade screwdriver which is how I do it. They pop out really easy. Use the screwdriver to push each rocker arm away from it's lifter and toward the valve spring.

Once all of the rockers are out attempt to turn the engine over by hand again and see 8fnyou can go forward. If you can turn the engine in the direction of normal rotation then we can assume a piston is hitting a valve and the timing is off. Perhaps from a broken chain guide or a failed tensioner.

If that is the case it will be time to remove the timing cover for inspection and diag.

OP
OP
D

Davidn Casto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l
thanks for the advice sounds like a good Idea with the rocker arms off I will be able to see if i have a bent or dropped valve or jumped time thank you

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
thanks for the advice sounds like a good Idea with the rocker arms off I will be able to see if i have a bent or dropped valve or jumped time thank you
No worries. When you remove the rockers, use a big flat blade screwdriver. I stick the tip of the screwdriver behind the rocker and use the camshaft as my pivot point. It's really easy to get the rockers out. Push the rocker away from it's lifter. It doesn't take much to pop each one off of it's lifter.

Let me know how you make out and if you need any help don't hesitate to send me a PM and ask. If you send a PM I will get a notification from the website.

OP
OP
D

Davidn Casto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 l
found t5he problem I pulled all the plugs and #8 cylinder had water in it it was hydro locked any suggestions machine the head and replace the gasket?