Lifted Ram 1500 Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 lone star edition with 3.21 gears and 33s. I use this truck for work and personal. I would like to put a 3 inch lift on it but I’m wondering if this will be a bad idea. What kind of problems could occur compared to the stock suspension? I use this truck to tow around 5-6000lbs 3-5 days a week. If I were to add a 3 inch lift what upgrades would I want to make since I’m towing, or do you guys have a particular kit that you would recommend? Any advice appreciated, I’ve searched around and have seen varied opinions for other lift heights and tire size but not for the particular setup I’m asking about.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most lifts end up leveling the truck up front to back. So often times the truck will be nose high when towing. However, there are options for taller/stiffer rear springs to keep some rake for towing purposes as well as preventing so much squat. I would recommend going the air bag route, they work phenomenally. And with as often as you are towing, i would splurge for the mini compressor kit so you can inflate and deflate from inside the cab…air em up when you hook to a trailer, then let the air out when you go for a night on the town.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Assumption is that you are going to put bigger tires in your truck. With the truck's gearing you are going to notice the effect in getting things moving and keeping it rolling, could be unhappy with the change considering the weight you regularly tow. Regearing both front and back, if 4wd, going to potentially be needed, which will definitely impact mpg.

Also, your truck center of gravity will be impacted and you will notice a difference in stability. I have never lifted my own truck but have driven others after such events and never felt as good post-lift. You may want to consider air bags for stability if you don't already have them but of course this adds cost, complexity, and more to possibly repair down the road.

Finally, your lift could reduce your payload capacity so you have to be mindful of the components you add and adjust your towing weight accordingly if the package isn't designed to work at your truck's current limits.

Seems all negative above, but just offering areas to think about. Follow expert advice and enjoy the ride.

Good luck

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are you putting on towing a week? And what are you towing? Big difference between towing lawn equipment around town, low speeds and probably not many miles, compared to pulling campers cross country, higher speeds, more wind, lots of towing miles.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles are you putting on towing a week? And what are you towing? Big difference between towing lawn equipment around town, low speeds and probably not many miles, compared to pulling campers cross country, higher speeds, more wind, lots of towing miles.
He said 5-6k pounds 3-5 days a week. Dosnt sound crazy to me.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it doesn't but you never know. A guys towing day might be just driving a trailer to a jobsite less then 20 miles for the day. Or could be pulling a camper for 400 miles a day. Times that by the 3-5 days a week and it makes a big difference. 1st situation the lift wouldn't really make that much of a difference I wouldn't think. 2nd situation it would.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357