2004 3.7 parts ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JZum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m gettin ready rebuild the 3.7 in my 2004 Ram 1500 and have some questions.
the truck has 260K on it the engine is stock and I am looking at adding a little more getty up to it. I have already swapped gears to 4.10’s and traction lock carrier, along with Efan swap and hi flow cats into a 23” thrush glass pack and single 3” tailpipe.
Anyway the ?’s I have are probably simple.
First can I use the comp cams hydraulic valve accurators for a Ford 4.6 Shoc?
I am looking to swap to a set of Knolton street ported heads and would prefer hydraulic to going with the solids that Airram has.
secondly I seem to recall that the cam profile changed in 2006 is this profile any better than the stock 2004 profile and if so can I run it in 2004 heads?
Lastley what piiston are best to run I saw 2 comp. distances listed one was 1.241” and the other was 1.252” it seems the second would give a little bump in comp. or is there something better.
hopefully I can get some added knowledge.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is a slight change and IIRC it was only like a 5hp difference but yes you can use the newer cams. The biggest thing you need to worry about is PTV clearance. Unfortunately this family of engines was largely ignored.

OP
OP
J

JZum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your response. The 3.7 for its size Is pretty healthy and another 5 hp is not to bad when the newer cams cost about the same as the older profile. So the cams,knolton heads, ATI underdrive pulley, JBA headers, tune from Flyin Ryan or Hemifever and sos coils should make for a pretty stout combo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JZum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone have an opion on 12 hole injectors vs 4 hole. I have heard the finer spray helps with the low to mid range response.