2004 5.7 hemi knock when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DnS1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother has a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi and he accidentally ran it low on oil and now there’s a moderate knock when accelerating, the sound is kinda like something loose and knocking around in the engine. My question is, is this something that can be pulled apart and maybe replace some valves or rings, etc or is this a full rebuild/new engine situation? Thanks in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Upload a vid of the noise or nothing much we can suggest. How low is low on oil? was it still on the dipstick? and how many miles on it.

OP
OP
D

DnS1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upload a vid of the noise or nothing much we can suggest. How low is low on oil? was it still on the dipstick? and how many miles on it.
I will upload a video tomorrow thanks for the response! Just curious is there any engines that are direct bolt ins that could replace the 5.7? Someone told me that he couldn’t put another hemi in unless it was that specific model or there would be a lot of changes needed.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will upload a video tomorrow thanks for the response! Just curious is there any engines that are direct bolt ins that could replace the 5.7? Someone told me that he couldn’t put another hemi in unless it was that specific model or there would be a lot of changes needed.
Only makes sense to put another 5.7 in its one of the best engines around would be to costly to put something else in.

OP
OP
D

DnS1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only makes sense to put another 5.7 in its one of the best engines around would be to costly to put something else in.
Can any 5.7 go in or only one out of 3rd gen models?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can any 5.7 go in or only one out of 3rd gen models?
If you want it to be quick and easy find a 3rd gen they are all over check facebook and junk yards not hard to find. Also 3rd gen engines are better any ways they do not have cam issues like the 4th gens.

OP
OP
D

DnS1821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want it to be quick and easy find a 3rd gen they are all over check facebook and junk yards not hard to find. Also 3rd gen engines are better any ways they do not have cam issues like the 4th gens.
What years are third gen? Wiki shows it as 2003 to current day.