2005 Engine Shuts off while accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larman64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 1500 with the 4.7 engine. I bought this truck about six months ago and I have been dumping money into it. I have replaced the computer I have replaced the camshaft sensor I have replace the oil pressure switch I have replace the fuel pump and I’m sure missing other sensors that I have replaced. The issue I am having is that when I get on the truck a little bit and accelerate hard sometimes it just shuts off. I then have to pull over completely shut off the car and restart. Lately it’s done it a couple of times just at normal highway cruising speed at let’s say 60 mph. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I have seen a video on YouTube pointing towards aftermarket coils as the culprit do you think?

Orange whip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say fuel pump or fuel related. I have the same truck and the fuel pump went and had a similar result. I replaced my oil sensor and my coolant temp sensor. I got no heat or minimal. Flushed out the heat hoses and put new water pump and thermostat, if that don't work will unplug recirc unit on blend door. I also replaced my coolant temp sensor but it was the wire connection that was faulty.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I’m thinking it’s the throttle position sensor (aka gas pedal) . Before you go buy one though, unplug the battery for 15-20 mins then follow the steps for your model year to recalibrate. It’s maybe (& probably) worn out .

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2005 1500 with the 4.7 engine. I bought this truck about six months ago and I have been dumping money into it. I have replaced the computer I have replaced the camshaft sensor I have replace the oil pressure switch I have replace the fuel pump and I’m sure missing other sensors that I have replaced. The issue I am having is that when I get on the truck a little bit and accelerate hard sometimes it just shuts off. I then have to pull over completely shut off the car and restart. Lately it’s done it a couple of times just at normal highway cruising speed at let’s say 60 mph. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I have seen a video on YouTube pointing towards aftermarket coils as the culprit do you think?
Pine Hollow Diagnostics Youtube channel has a muti-part video from 3 years ago (I think) of this same problem.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
My old 02 4.7 did the same thing, turned out to be the asd relay in the tipm, had to replace the entire tipm to fix it because it was corroded to hell.

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
symptoms the EGR is carboned up, may not throw a code.