2006 3500 Will Not Start After Stereo Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9

I'm almost done putting in a new stereo. When I went to test it, the following lights stayed on while the wait to start light flashed:
  • ABS
  • Check Gauges
  • Engine
Seat belt, parking break, and 4WD were also lit up, but those were lit up correctly. The check engine light usually stays on until the engine is running as well. It's also worth noting that it's very cold here, so the glow plug light should be coming on.

I tried turning the truck on, but the engine just cranked a few times without starting. I've been having trouble occasionally with my starting, (I think the voltage is too low to start when it's very cold), but it's been running ok lately. I hit both batteries with a multi-meter, and they're both right around 12.3V.

Really appreciate your help if you have any ideas!

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Did you separate the batteries when you tested them? They are wired in parallel so if one is up to voltage it will look like both are. What does the voltage look like when you are cranking the engine over trying to start it? The voltage should drop some but not allot on the dash voltage gauge. When doing a cold crank on mine (same truck, same age) mine drops down to the same point yours is sitting at in the video, maybe a tiny bit higher. I would do a load test on both batteries after separating them. If one of the batteries tests bad, replace both of them. Or you may have an issue with your fuel delivery system or your fuel injection system. Sorry I don't have a clue about the lights.

Mike

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
12.3 volts is not enough to start a Cummins. I think you need to install new batteries and I would bet if you jump it from another vehicle it would fire right up.