2006 RAM 1500 - Pulsing Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kasteer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. Great forum here. After lots of reading, I am finally posting.

My truck...
2006 1500 Crew cab 5.7 Hemi ~109000 miles 2WD
Purchased used about 2 years ago and it had very new looking goodyears (20")
New shocks last month (tires were cupping/feathering)

Problem...
I have the common brake pulsing. At high speed the steering wheel sometimes shakes and it feels like the back end is bouncing up and down. At low speed, I can feel a slow brake pulse. Also, when turning right, I can feel a little roughness in the brake pedal.

I am going to lift the front and check for play in the hubs. I will post what I find.
I know the stock good years are terrible.

I don't want to throw money at it.... but am considering hub assemblies, rotors & pads for the front. I figure I could save money doing those all at once. If I knew anyone around Jacksonville, Fl with a lift, I could likely do it myself (moved here from Richmond, Va where I know someone with a lift).

I would like to fix the brake pulsing, which is bothering me more and more.

Any ideas/suggestions?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Sounds like the rotors are just warped. Very common to have that happen over time. You can have your current rotors machined to straighten them out but they will likely just warp again as they are worn down. You're best bet is to just buy new rotors as that will take care of the issue for sure.

OP
OP
K

kasteer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the rotors are just warped. Very common to have that happen over time. You can have your current rotors machined to straighten them out but they will likely just warp again as they are worn down. You're best bet is to just buy new rotors as that will take care of the issue for sure.

Yeah, I think they are warped too and I am pricing them online now. My other concern is the grinding/noise when turning right. Could that be attributed to the rotors too?

... I will go check for play the hub in in a couple hours...

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yep, almost positive that the rotors are toast. I've been through this many times on my old truck, I picked up new rotors and pads right at or just over $100. The grinding could be a worn hub allowing it to slightly move and shove the rotor into the caliper.

OP
OP
K

kasteer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok. Just came in... Lifted one tire at a time and checked for play... no play top to bottom. A little play left to right, but I see the steering moving with it, so all seems tight.

Spinning each front tire... drivers side front tire has some scraping sound from the pads on the rotor. This is consistent all the way around. Passenger side front tire has same sound, but I can hear it go away on one half of the rotor. All four rotors are smooth, no ridges/gouges, except for a small lip on the outer edge. Exterior pads (that I can see) all have at least 1/4 inch of pad on them... looking nice and think. I could not see the interior pads.

So.... what the heck? Could the calipers be sticking? I hope not. Or should I just replace the rotors and pads in front and go from there?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
ok. Just came in... Lifted one tire at a time and checked for play... no play top to bottom. A little play left to right, but I see the steering moving with it, so all seems tight.

Spinning each front tire... drivers side front tire has some scraping sound from the pads on the rotor. This is consistent all the way around. Passenger side front tire has same sound, but I can hear it go away on one half of the rotor. All four rotors are smooth, no ridges/gouges, except for a small lip on the outer edge. Exterior pads (that I can see) all have at least 1/4 inch of pad on them... looking nice and think. I could not see the interior pads.

So.... what the heck? Could the calipers be sticking? I hope not. Or should I just replace the rotors and pads in front and go from there?
I had a grinding sound... this is what I found...
14b29e6d544edaba919a7775526353f6.jpg
225833f27428a911bae5c5b137c3753b.jpg

Couldn't tell without pulling the rotor.

OP
OP
K

kasteer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow. THat's a bad pad!

Had a shop put a guage on the rotor today. They confirmed the front are warped.

Will be ordering some Bendix rotors and semi metallic pads....

Thanks all!!!!