2004 Ram 1500 4wd transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeus7221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, so i am scratching my head at this problem

I was driving about 45 miles per hour and then my RPMS shot up to 6k and i have no gears, i tried 1 and 2 manually and nothing, i was able to tow it home. One thing i noticed was an odd whirrring sound coming from underneath but no leaks
I dropped the pan and the fluid is good, the magnet is clean.

My scanner showed me 2 codes, input speed sensor error and output speed sensor error.

How do i go about diagnosing to see if those are the issue?

2004 Dodge ram 1500 SLT 4WD 545RFE

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you ran codes and those came up, first place could be to see if replacing both fix the issue. A bad output speeds sensor can, for example, make shifting very rough, suppose it could prevent it as well. Others may have more to offer but don't think those parts are too expensive. This is a time I would try replacing the parts to at least eliminate those as problems, especially since tearing a transmission apart is so expensive.

Make sure you disconnect the battery and then when done and reconnected you may need to cycle through a few start ups to have everything return to normal.

OP
OP
Z

zeus7221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ill give that a try, its so odd that both would go at the same time. But i appreciate all the help and the guidance