2008 Ram 1500 4x4 High Pitched Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr MT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Does anyone know what this noise could be? I'm stumped. The link posted above is the exact same noise that is coming from my truck. I've tried everything from removing the serpentine belt and running the engine to removing the exhaust down pipe and running the engine (since I thought it was an exhaust noise). I still have not been able to locate the culprit. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

dorkfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 270k+
does it go away when you accelerate

OP
OP
M

Mr MT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do know for sure that when I accelerate at low speeds the noise "accelerates" with the increased engine RPMs. I can't distinguish the noise when I'm driving down the highway at 75 mph. It's mostly noticeable at idle or anything under 15 mph.

OP
OP
M

Mr MT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've also noticed that the noise is only present when the engine is warmed up. It will not make that noise when it's first started in the morning.

OP
OP
M

Mr MT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update to this thread; the noise DOES go away when accelerating above 15 mph. If I let off the gas, and the speed drops down to 15 mph, the noise comes back.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just an update to this thread; the noise DOES go away when accelerating above 15 mph. If I let off the gas, and the speed drops down to 15 mph, the noise comes back.
The next thing I would do to determine whether the noise was coming from the engine or the transmission would be to remove the torque converter bolts and push the converter back into the pump so it's not touching the flexplate. Then start the engine and see if the noise is still present. If the noise goes away then you know it is coming from the trans. If the noise is still present them you know it is coming from the engine.

OP
OP
M

Mr MT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll give that a try. Thank you! I just think this is ridiculous because the truck runs great. Just super annoyed with this noise.

cmm47172

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Regular Cab
Engine
3.7 L V6
did you ever find the fix for this?