2008 Ram Sound System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back on my feet after hip surgery. I had asked a couple questions about the system in my inherited Ram Megacab, and now thst I'm working on it, I'm more confused.
Truck came with the Infinity system. Ski, previous owner and my stepdaughters dad, had more money than sense. He replaced the head unit with 4 Pioneer head units over the years, with the latest being the AVIC 6200 nex. All work done by the same shop. As the system stands, got sound out of the 3 dash speakers and none from the door speakers. Balance adjust does nothing.
Ok, thats a day at the shop. Was going to save some bucks and replace the dash speakers first, get the repairs and see if the door speakers are just as bad. Going by the application guide in crutchfield, speakers come in 2, 4, and 8 ohm. WTF?

My experience with car stereos has been those radios with the buttons you pull out to set the station. The Infinity has an amp but i have no idea if its connected to the head unit.

First question is,what speaker impedance do i use?

Dawson Wehage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I recall the speakers are 2 ohm in that truck, also if the dash speakers are wired up it means they are connected to the infinity amplifier (located behind glove box). As for you're door speakers, either the head unit is wired incorrectly, or the wiring to the door speakers are worn and busted. Same with my truck and most 2006-2008 ram owners. I ran all new speaker wire instead of replacing it because it's a ***** to get out.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember my dads 71 Impala had one of those radios with 5 slide in buttons for presets. He replaced it with a digital Kraco in the early 80’s. :angels2::peace:

My truck only has the 4 speaker base setup but I’ve put a Pioneer DVD player in place of the factory DIN & 1/2 ...REF unit. And now that ya mention it... the speakers aren’t right! Well the left front is correct. The other 3 aren’t with the fade/balance settings.

Last edited:

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would bypass the infinity amp, have the head unit power the rear doors and a 4 channel amp power 2 dash and 2 front doors, high pass for dash and full for doors.

I bypassed the dash speakers and had a jbl 600/3 amp power front door 6x9s and a sub under rear seat, sounded great.
That amp is a tuff one to get out and new wiring tomthe doors can be a little tricky also.
I used 4ohm speakers in my doors for all this.
I really gotta post a pick of that install as it could help some out, sold that truck but have picks somewhere.