2009 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel hesitating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Millar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins Turbo Diesel
Had this problem for a while now, several garages have looked at it, two of them diesel specific garages and nobody is able to pinpoint it.

Problem is that when it is cold (typically below 0 deg C) or a bit damp out the truck will hesitate until it is somewhat warm. Usually for about 5 minutes or so when you give it gas it sputters a bit, hesitates and does not seem to have full power range. It feels like slight fuel starvation.

Obvious stuff... Changed the fuel filter, air filter, filter on the manifold, had the ECM intake cleaned and de-carboned. They have had it on the computer multiple times and it does not appear to throw codes.

When it is warmer weather it runs like a top. Obviously from my post i am not a diesel mechanic but one would think the garage would be able to nail it down. Still looking for answers, my latest google had me looking at lift pump solutions??

thx in advance for any assistance guys.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One thing that comes to mind is injectors. Are you getting any white smoke at start up?

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I am not suggesting you replace anything, but do you have a fuel rail pressure gauge? I wonder if the engine is starving for fuel when it does this hesitation? It could be something as simple as the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pressure sensor. I don't know how to test these parts but I would think a modern diesel garage could sort it out........but as you have posted, perhaps not.