2010 Laramie 3500 Brake Controller - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Buffalo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey all - I have a couple other post going but I just bought a 2010 3500 Laramie LB Diesel and I'm trying to get a few things corrected.

The truck only has 43k miles but the previous owner replaced the stock brake controller with a Prodigy unit, and did a sloppy job installing it.

It's on the left side, below the light control. The guy basically just shoved it in without mounting it to anything. It was also unplugged and the dealer had no idea how to reconnect it. Simple plugs, no issue there but I have a few questions for the forum experts:
1 - Has anyone replaced theirs with a Prodigy?
2 - Is it any better than OEM?
3 - If I wanted to return it to the stock unit/config, can I do it with the OBDLink programmer?
4 - If I wanted to toss it all together and move it to the center dash, integrated with a new Aux panel, can that be done?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want it the way I want it.

Many thanks for any intel!

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well as there hasn't been any response here are some thoughts (no first hand experience). There's anecdotal evidence that the factory controller didn't work well for some people, the Tekonsha works with electric over hydraulic brakes and besides gain also allows to adjust how aggressive the brakes ramp up. That might be why the PO replaced the stock controller. It just requires a simple adapter cable that goes into one of the factory brake controller plugs, check if they are still there.
Given the crappy job the PO did the brake controller might still be programmed in, I do not know if OBDlink can add it if needed. Moving it to center dash is probably not possible as the controller and buttons/slider are a single unit and there might not be enough room. The later models with the controls in the center dash have the actual controller mounted separately.

OP
OP
1Buffalo

1Buffalo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well as there hasn't been any response here are some thoughts (no first hand experience). There's anecdotal evidence that the factory controller didn't work well for some people, the Tekonsha works with electric over hydraulic brakes and besides gain also allows to adjust how aggressive the brakes ramp up. That might be why the PO replaced the stock controller. It just requires a simple adapter cable that goes into one of the factory brake controller plugs, check if they are still there.
Given the crappy job the PO did the brake controller might still be programmed in, I do not know if OBDlink can add it if needed. Moving it to center dash is probably not possible as the controller and buttons/slider are a single unit and there might not be enough room. The later models with the controls in the center dash have the actual controller mounted separately.
Thanks for the reply and info. Going to hook up the toy hauler for the first time today, and see how the Prodigy works. If good I may just figure out how to mount it correctly.
I also understand now, that the location of the controller is fixed on the left in this year/model.
Thanks again sir!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have some experience, but my 3500 dually is a 2014. On the camper forum I look into quite often, there is some info out there on the fact that the RAM factory brake controllers were better on the trucks 2015, and earlier. After 2016 the FBC changed and the general consensus is that wasnt for the better. I have had two different fifth wheel RV's with my current RAM 3500. The first unit weighed 12K, and it braked OK, but not great with the FBC. Decided with the latest RV, which weighed a lot more, and has 8K axles, I needed more braking than I was getting with the factory brake controller. I put a tekonsha P3 in mine and wired it up to the factory harness, using the supplied adapter harness. I get night and day brake action now on my 15K fifth wheel brakes. I couldnt get the tires to even think about locking up in gravel before, now I can with no issues.

The FBC uses's pulsed DC, and mine maxed out on heavy elctric setting... measured like 8 volts at the rear 7 pin connector. Now I can get up to 14 volts to the trailer brakes if needed. Basically the after market brake controller is much better than the OE one built in the trucks. If you had a lighter trailer I think the factory FBC would most likely be fine.

OP
OP
1Buffalo

1Buffalo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have some experience, but my 3500 dually is a 2014. On the camper forum I look into quite often, there is some info out there on the fact that the RAM factory brake controllers were better on the trucks 2015, and earlier. After 2016 the FBC changed and the general consensus is that wasnt for the better. I have had two different fifth wheel RV's with my current RAM 3500. The first unit weighed 12K, and it braked OK, but not great with the FBC. Decided with the latest RV, which weighed a lot more, and has 8K axles, I needed more braking than I was getting with the factory brake controller. I put a tekonsha P3 in mine and wired it up to the factory harness, using the supplied adapter harness. I get night and day brake action now on my 15K fifth wheel brakes. I couldnt get the tires to even think about locking up in gravel before, now I can with no issues.

The FBC uses's pulsed DC, and mine maxed out on heavy elctric setting... measured like 8 volts at the rear 7 pin connector. Now I can get up to 14 volts to the trailer brakes if needed. Basically the after market brake controller is much better than the OE one built in the trucks. If you had a lighter trailer I think the factory FBC would most likely be fine.
Thanks for the info Steven, much appreciated!
My Toy Hauler is only 20ft, but I'll have a side by side in the hauler and one in the bed of the truck. All in I think I'll be under 10k lbs fully loaded with water, fuel, etc.
Just found a FBC from eBay so I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll probably start over with a Tekonsha P3, wire and mount it properly and call it a day.
Many thanks!
Steve