2011 Ram 1500 4.7l no reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrathX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Hello. This is for my 2011 Ram 1500 4.7l with 545RFE transmission. I've been searching all over trying to figure this out. Around Christmas time I started to have issues where my truck would want to quit when coming to a stop. I'd have to throw it in neutral every time or else it would quit. After some research I first tried changing the transmission pressure sensor. Didn't do the trick. After more research things pointed to the shift solenoid. Took me a bit to figure out exactly which one I needed to replace (grey plug vs white plug type thing). I got that figured out and ordered the solenoid. When I went to change the solenoid, I had to back into my garage through a drift of snow. Didn't think much of it as the truck had been running decent besides the quitting at a stop. Just as I was about to back all the way in the garage, the truck suddenly wouldn't go forward or reverse. Nothing, like it was in neutral. I changed the shift solenoid, filters and oil, put everything back together, and still no forward or reverse. Took the pan off again and realized I hadn't installed the new pan filter properly and I think the old filter wasn't completely installed correctly either. The neck wasn't all the way into the O-ring. Fixed that, put everything back together and voila! Everything worked! No codes, nothing! That was two weeks ago. The truck has been working excellent since then, shifting better than it has in a long time. A couple of days ago, on my way to work I noticed the CEL was on. Checked the code and there was P0934 (Hydraulic Pressure Sensor Circuit Low) and P2704. By the time I got home that night, the light was off. Then yesterday, I got home from work went inside for a few minutes and came back out to leave. NO REVERSE at all, just revs up. No CEL either. It kind of feels like it tries to do something, like a slight nudge when you put it in R but does nothing. RPMs barely change too. Forward works completely fine. Went for a drive, shifts great, no issues going forward. Still nothing in reverse. Very frustrating. I'm hoping someone has some ideas. Thanks in advance.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your filters again maybe it came loose, also the can filter has a plastic threaded insert that cracks or breaks. There are metal replacements available.

OP
OP
W

WrathX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Check your filters again maybe it came loose, also the can filter has a plastic threaded insert that cracks or breaks. There are metal replacements available.
Could that affect only reverse? Driving forward works completely fine.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well my head is in the dark, you are correct don’t know why my reading comprehension leaves at times.

OP
OP
W

WrathX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Still trying to figure this out. I had someone put a scanner on the truck and it shows that it's building pressure when it's put in reverse but seems like it's just not going into gear. His scanner showed that the truck was in neutral when it was actually in reverse. He said something about it looking like it was wanting to relearn or something. Just took it for a ride today. It drives forward beautifully still, just no reverse. There are also no check engine light and no codes.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope someone has a solution because I've had this same issue for over a year. Altjough i have the 65rfe. Don't really drive the truck too often so haven't really bothered to take it in. Called a few shops and they immediately said replacement was necessary but I ain't buying that. The truck drives like a dream going forward so it's got to be something simple(I'm no mechanic). FYI- this happened after I upgraded the VB with transgo and sonnax billet accumalators. Also upgraded to the metal threads. Best of luck and please update if the answer is found. If I do first ill definitely keep yall informed. Appreciate you sharing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a 'test sequence' to test the tranny solenoids. Did your 'buddy' do that?

Here's my thoughts:
- Could be your solenoid is bad again. Maybe it was a fine Dorman product??
- Could be something in the valve body? There are parts avail for them too
- Could be something in the tranny wiring harness. Corroded connector, or rodent-chewed wire/s. ??
- Best would be to run it through it's test paces via a 'good' scan tool.
- Do some general google searches and put "Forums" after your search string ...or "Reddit" (w/o the quotes). You can't be the only one to have this.

Those 545's are good trannys in my experience.
This probably isn't it, but on a Jeep 4.7L with the same tranny, the rubber elbows on the plastic PCV piping were hard & cracked (and leaking), and the throttle bore was real carbon'd up one time years ago. Resolved those and it drove & shifted better. I doubt that would affect your Reverse, but I'm just tossing out anything at this point.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
- Could be your solenoid is bad again. Maybe it was a fine Dorman product??
Is there a reverse solenoid replace with OEM and make sure where it fits into the valve body there are no rough surfaces use a fine stone to polish it out, I would go through the valve body and check the solenoids and mating surfaces.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This trans uses the same solenoid for 1st and reverse and converter lockup as I recall. There's a valve that's supposed to switch once you're in second gear and it's not uncommon for that 'L/R switch valve' to wear out the bore in the valve body.

I don't have evidence to say 'that's your problem' but I also haven't seen it mentioned yet.