2011 Ram 1500 ST Hemi 5.7 OEM 130 radio swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zoltar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi
I am brand new to this forum and new to this Ram truck - I did search the forum before deciding to post and did not see an equivalent situation or solution so hoping the forum can help solve this.

The 130 radio (Part no P05091228AC, S/N T22QN...) that came with the truck as purchased (used) does not work. AM/FM not at all and satellite promo station will play, then cut out after a few seconds and repeat that cycle.
I have checked the 2 fuses and the accy relay - all test good.

I did try a new radio from amazon (chinese) but it was too tall by a fraction of an inch to fit and I am not interested (yet) in cutting the dash.

I found a working (per seller, who upgraded) radio on FB Marketplace that came from a 2014 jeep wrangler (Part No P05091198AC, S/N T19QN....) and I HAVE the security code (and I confirmed it with a dealer by providing VIN and radio s/n).

I plugged in the Jeep radio and was prompted for the security code. I entered the code and it displayed incorrect code. I tried a couple more times and now it is "stuck" with display in pic (picture looks pixelated but display is 100% - must be camera refresh rate?).

The local chrysler dealer told me impossible to make it work - claimed OEM radio will only work in car it left factory in. We all know that is nonsense and I realize it likely is cheaper and more effective to try aftermarket radio,

however, I would at least like to see if I can solve with this jeep radio - at the very least to test that my old radio is bad and it is not wiring /voltage or other problem leading up to the radio.

Any ideas to solve this would be very appreciated. Thank you CH

update 2: have now also tried the radio security code for my Ram truck in addition to the Jeep replacement radio security code - both come back as incorrect

Jeep 130 Radio.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zoltar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I left the ignition on to accy for over 30 min and got the security code prompt back

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I would bet you have the wrong code for the new radio - there are a few sites that will generate one for you at a modest price, some more reputable than others. I'd give that a shot

OP
OP
Z

Zoltar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your response. I contacted such a service found through ebay. I gave them the s/n of the jeep radio and they provided the same code as I got by calling a jeep dealer. Meanwhile, I took the truck and both OEM radios to a professional radio installer. They called a chrysler dealer and got the same codes I already had. They tried to "read" the code from the radio and could not. They could not solve. Their opening price to install and aftermarket radio is $500. They did look at the "pigtail" (photo attached) I bought to try to connect the aftermarket radio.....and declared that it is the wrong one. They said I need one that communicates with the canbus and works to make the radio function when key set to accy. If anyone know which pigtail would work, please post. thanks!

Attachments

• Wrong Ram radio pigtail.JPG
    Wrong Ram radio pigtail.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 6

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seem to remember this being an issue back when I had my 2012 Ram, the guidance I received was getting an older radio with no security like this.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
My only other thought is they do make two different versions of the exact same radio. The data network's in Chrysler's have a low speed and high speed bus. Ram's, Caravan's Wrangler's have high speed. Challengers and some other models have low speed and they are not interchangeable. I wouldn't think the radio would even power on if it was mismatched, but who knows? Maybe you dealer can tell you if the part number is a low speed or high speed bus version