2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realdeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any suggestions on the easiest way to access the oil filter to change my oil.. I am a new Ram owner and it looks like it is hard to access. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forums! I'm sure if you dig around a bit you'll find about 100 "Best" ways and find that most of them are very good.

It's not soo bad on the 5.7 - just a bit of a reach is all... a bigger problem that's addressed in another thread is how the oil runs all over the front suspension.

May want to check your engine size - 6.1 doesn't sound correct.

OP
OP
R

realdeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply.. Ya your right i have a 5.7 i must have mis-clicked. Do you have any solutions to stop the oil from getting all over the suspension?

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
There are so many tricks..cardboard, rags..etc but i found an angled piece of metal I put up the to act as a funnel...flowing through it into the drain bucket instead if it going everywhere.

OP
OP
R

realdeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes I have a Fram (PH2) oil filter

OP
OP
R

realdeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will try that trick with the metal.. Thanks

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can get at the oil filter from the front real easy. I just roll under the truck from the front and reach over the crossmember. I tried a couple of the tricks for catching the oil, but they didn't work well for me. I just take the filter off, dump some of the oil out, and then take it out. I just wipe up the oil with a rag or 2. To me it's not a big deal, but I understand why it ****** some peope off. Make sure the gasket comes off with your filter too. I haven't had that problem yet but it seems somewhat common.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can get at the oil filter from the front real easy. I just roll under the truck from the front and reach over the crossmember. I tried a couple of the tricks for catching the oil, but they didn't work well for me. I just take the filter off, dump some of the oil out, and then take it out. I just wipe up the oil with a rag or 2. To me it's not a big deal, but I understand why it ****** some peope off. Make sure the gasket comes off with your filter too. I haven't had that problem yet but it seems somewhat common.

Just changed my oil at 1400 miles and the gasket stayed on the block. I didn't know it and screwed on the new filter - it distorted the old gasket and when I started the engine, oil went everywhere. Make sure to look for that gasket!

Edgethis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read that Fram filters arent the best. I usually use a Mobil One or K&N oil filter.

marv02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I recall NAPA Gold filter are made by Wix also.

I try not to use Fram my self I normaly go with OEM or NAPA Filter only.

I only use Wix oil filters

guntoter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just changed my trucks oil for the first time this weekend, at about 1500 miles. Got the filter from the front and the oil went everywhere. I later went to the car wash and used the pressure washer to spray from underneath to clean it up.

I used a Mopar filter, which are available at Walmart, and Mobil1 5w20 oil. Some have had trouble getting the filter off the first time, but I had no trouble using a regular oil filter strap wrench. Dont forget to check the lube in the front and rear differential and transfer case. Its a good time to check tire pressure and look for any problems underneath also.

OP
OP
R

realdeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just want to thank everyone for all your information in referecne to my post!! Greatly appreciated and very helpful!!!

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just changed my oil at 1400 miles and the gasket stayed on the block. I didn't know it and screwed on the new filter - it distorted the old gasket and when I started the engine, oil went everywhere. Make sure to look for that gasket!

I've done that once as well; with our Caravan using a Mopar filter. I won't use Mopar filters anymore; crap. All the filters I've ever changed, that's the only P.O.S. that tried that with me.

Darkflow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta 2010 that I recently bought and I'm fixing to do my 1st oil change. What oil weights do you guys use? I'm coming from a Camaro so I've only ever used 5w30.

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong with a Fram, in fact, I'd be willing to bet my left testie that they are one of the best you can buy right now.

Now a few years ago, they weren't worth the box they were packaged in, but they have addressed their shortcomings.