2012 Ram 2500 - Engine died while driving!! No crank, no power, no restart. HEEELLPP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ERS_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All - first time posting on this site but have gleaned many useful details from you all! Hoping those more familiar/skilled with troubleshooting these trucks can provide some insight.

I’ve checked other threads and my issue seems to be a bit unique vs other random engine “shutdowns while driving.”

Details:
2012 Ram 2500 ST 5.7 Hemi 200k miles
Issue: while driving kids to daycare this week, turned onto a highway and truck immediately began “sputtering” and losing power as I turned. simultaneously all warning lights on the dash illuminated and the alarm began dinging.
Immediately pulled over to shoulder and coasted to stop as engine completely died.
Turned key off and put in park.
Attempted to restart and engine struggled to crank and all lights illuminated again, did not start.
Turned key off
Turned key back to battery on position, only some dash lights came on.
Turned to crank position and truck did nothing.
Turned key off, lights on dash stayed on and gradually faded.
As we sat there with the key off, some of the gauge cluster lights began flickering for a bit and gradually faded off.

Tow truck came and truck is in shop now.
Tech said it needs a new throttle position sensor (to the tune of $700)

My question:
Does this sound like any of the other shutdown while driving issues like the ignition switch I’ve read about?
To me, the electrical / dash lights part of this plus the fact it acted like it was dead after the incident sound different than others experiences. (I could not restart it at all - no crank)

I had this thing at Autozone within the last 10 days and both the battery and alternator “checked out good” per their tool.

Lastly - it was wet and rainy when this happened BUT I’ve certainly driven this in the rain before with no issues.

Thanks all for you help! I’m guessing this will be a tough one for the mechanic. But maybe not??

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tech is replacing the throttle body and I highly doubt that it is your issue.

Shouldn't be that hard for a good technician to figure out - but is the one working on it a good technician?

OP
OP
E

ERS_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks pacofortacos! And I’m guessing the skills at this particular shop may be questionable given the start of the repair.

Anyone think this is related to the fuses/fuse box or some random sensor?

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
I'm thinking that either the connections on the battery are loose or the battery itself is bad. That is where I'd star looking.

OP
OP
E

ERS_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Brunnie and wheatboy. You make good pints and that thread was helpful for sure.

I need to confirm that the truck will not start as it sits right now. Not sure if mechanic has tried restarting yet or any other basics like disconnect/reconnect batt cables.

Appreciate the continued help all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007