2012 Ram No Oil Pressure Reading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 2012 Express with just a very basic cluster, speedo/tach, coolant temp and fuel. I have a blue driver and alphaobd scan tools and was hoping I could see an oil pressure reading using those unless I glanced past it. I know there's a sensor since I see it above the oil filter. Anyone add a guage to their truck, or should I be seeing a pressure reading from the computer using on of my scan tools? Thanks!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it, you can tee it from the oil pressure switch located on the oil filter housing, you'll get a more accurate reading.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That thought crossed my mind too. I was also reading about swapping in a evic cluster for my year but wonder if that oil guage is a true reading? For example is 30 psi the same as 50 and it will always read center-line unless it's 0? or is a true variable gauge.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll get the most accurate reading with a mechanical gauge you're getting the oil flow from where the mains and rods are getting their oil supply from.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a regular old ELM327 OBD plug in and a program like "Torque", it will show oil pressure. Don't know if alfaOBD shows live data like oil pressure and such, but programs like the Android version of Torque and OBDLink (which comes with the OBDLink MX+ OBD plug in module) do.

Hopefully it's not a fake gauge like it was in my '04 F150. The fords used a pressure switch for the gauge and a resistor to make the gauge read mid-sweep when switch closed on positive oil pressure. Jerks.
Had to mod the whole cluster to make it act like an actual pressure gauge.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a regular old ELM327 OBD plug in and a program like "Torque", it will show oil pressure. Don't know if alfaOBD shows live data like oil pressure and such, but programs like the Android version of Torque and OBDLink (which comes with the OBDLink MX+ OBD plug in module) do.

Hopefully it's not a fake gauge like it was in my '04 F150. The fords used a pressure switch for the gauge and a resistor to make the gauge read mid-sweep when switch closed on positive oil pressure. Jerks.
Thanks, I forgot about Torque. Used it several years ago and never thought of it since I've been using other tools. I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Connected my obd2 reader and loaded up torque and unfortunately i didn't see oil pressure listed as a sensor.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Connected my obd2 reader and loaded up torque and unfortunately i didn't see oil pressure listed as a sensor.
Just a shot in the dark,but i wonder if there's 2 differant sensors,one that's just an idiot light for the plain jane trucks,and another one that gives out a reading

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a shot in the dark,but i wonder if there's 2 differant sensors,one that's just an idiot light for the plain jane trucks,and another one that gives out a reading
Good point. I bought an upgraded cluster. Guess I'll see if the guage will work.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So got my new cluster in and everything works except the oil pressure gauge. So most likely sensor however I look up the sensor on a couple parts sites and none specifically say gauge or idiot light.

OP
OP
JeffK

JeffK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn, looks like this evic cluster upgrade is a bust. Replaced my sensor with one that specifically said gauge and still nothing reading on the gauge.