2013 1500 5.7 6 Speed Excessive Downshifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello everyone, while driving my truck last night I started experiencing often and very harsh downshifts at interstate speeds. I was traveling at about 65 mph, went to pass a car and just gave it a touch more throttle to which it then downshifted immediately and stayed in the lower gear until I backed off the throttle again. Therefore I turned around and headed back to the house.

When heading home, the truck then started to downshift hard as I was decelerating by just coasting. The brakes also chattered a few times around 40 mph and felt like they were locking with barely any pressure applied. You could really feel the feedback in the pedal. Any idea what could be wrong with my truck? It’s a 2013 1500 with the 5.7 and 6 speed, 4x4 105k miles. Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
GoodwinRacing64
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update, the right front rotor is severely more grooved than any of the others. Could something stuck in the brakes cause the downshifting issue?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you have a seized caliper.

OP
OP
GoodwinRacing64
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like you have a seized caliper.
I thought that possibility too. Although the truck does not pull to one side under braking nor am I smelling brakes or seeing smoke. The parking brake is acting sort of funny though, it seems like it hardly works at all. When I pulled into my driveway last night and put the parking brake on, it still lurched forward and rested as if I hadn’t used the parking brake at all. Could it be the problem? I will also take a look at that caliper when I’m able