2013 1500 hemi internal engine damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hockeygod514

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
(re-post from tech forum)
I have a 2013 ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 40,000 miles on it. Out of the blue I started to hear a tick, increased frequency with higher RPM, and also got a check engine light. Took it to the dealer and they pull a P0305 (CYL 5 misfire). They suspected a lifter issue right away. the dealer tore the heads off and found 2 collapsed lifters so they replaced all 16. Dealer went to turn it over after reassembly and couldn't start it. upon disassembly, they noted a new faulty/collapsed lifter. days later after further inspection, dealer noted that the camshaft needed replacement for reason unknown. 3 days after that, the dealer calls me says the forward camshaft bearing/bushing which is press fitted into the block, is scored and cannot be replaced per Chrysler. As a result, the dealer was sent a new block/lower end.

I have been unable to find a hemi diagram that identifies this camshaft bearing. Does anyone know what the part number is, and knows if this bearing is really a non-replaceable part? Thanks a lot.

NOTE: Oil has been changed every 3-4 grand by the dealer under 36,000 warranty. All parts/work will be covered under the 100,000 powertrain warranty)

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bearing they are talking about is one of the camshaft bearings. It's just a circular bearing that is indeed press fit into the block. It's the same design as any pushrod engine out there. The bearings COULD be replaced, but that would require removal of the block, disassembly of the bottom end, and then to be sent to a machine shop for the old bearing to be removed and a new one to be pressed in.

Dealerships don't work that way, though. Chrysler is not going to make that bearing available, and is not going to authorize that repair for liability reasons. The machine shop could botch the install, the tech could re assemble the bottom end incorrectly, and it's difficult for Chrysler to place the blame on something like that.

So what they do instead, is if there's any bottom end defect or something that requires a full teardown, they just send in a short block. That way the short block is one of theirs, built to their standards, and all the tech has to do is throw the top end on. That way if there's a problem with the bottom end, they are at fault because their own in house plant built that engine. Not bob's machine shop.

This is typical warranty practice among all brands, nothing to be alarmed of. I'm sorry that it has inconvenienced you but at least you're getting a new engine out of the deal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Great news bud that it is covered. Congrats

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More likely the cam bearing was damaged on removal or installation of the cam. It's easy to do.