2013 & 2014 RAM 1500s - Leveling/Lift kits & Ball Joints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just wondering if anyone knows much about the issues with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s and ball joints?

I've ordered some Zone Offroad UCAs, which are apparently on back order, but really need to take the truck down in the states, which will end up putting around 1700KM on it.

Any horror stories or users with experience? Does it simply wear it down a bit faster or completely destroy them? My truck has a 2.5" leveling kit in the front.

Thanks guys!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering if anyone knows much about the issues with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s and ball joints?

I've ordered some Zone Offroad UCAs, which are apparently on back order, but really need to take the truck down in the states, which will end up putting around 1700KM on it.

Any horror stories or users with experience? Does it simply wear it down a bit faster or completely destroy them? My truck has a 2.5" leveling kit in the front.

Thanks guys!
Some info

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=48373

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=48119

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=49702

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Buy the Mevotech UCA'S! I cost me $150 shipped with exchange into Ontario for them. They are much more heavily built than the stock ones and if you're not doing heavy offroading why pay all that money for the Zones?

hotrodderscott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just go with a Rancho quick lift system. Great ride and no UCA problems

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-10-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-06-06-10-16.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 518

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy the Mevotech UCA'S! I cost me $150 shipped with exchange into Ontario for them. They are much more heavily built than the stock ones and if you're not doing heavy offroading why pay all that money for the Zones?
Part number? I can't find them on Mevotech's site......

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ya... but xrsman lists in his profile he's got a 2014 as I do.... I'm looking for a 2014 fitment........

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ya... but xrsman lists in his profile he's got a 2014 as I do.... I'm looking for a 2014 fitment........

Those are the correct ones for a 2014. The system will not pull up that part number for the later model trucks so you must search for an earlier year.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep! Those are the right ones!
And these still solve the issue with the lifts?

Would you say my truck is safe to drive for such a distance of 1600-1700km?

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Yes, these eliminate the ball joint issues all together. Just like the Zone arms, but much cheaper.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

Yeah they'll just prevent any issues with the balance joints popping! I have no idea if you'd be okay to drive that far. Some guys have the ball joints pop right away, some have put on 5000 kms and they're still good. If I were you I'd keep checking them throughout the drive. If they get loose go to a shop and have then tack welded just until you get new UCA'S. That's a band aid fix for them! Lol

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Balance joints? I don't think I have those on mine... ;)

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah they'll just prevent any issues with the balance joints popping! I have no idea if you'd be okay to drive that far. Some guys have the ball joints pop right away, some have put on 5000 kms and they're still good. If I were you I'd keep checking them throughout the drive. If they get loose go to a shop and have then tack welded just until you get new UCA'S. That's a band aid fix for them! Lol
Gotcha. Was expecting to have them here today, but Zone Offroad Canada didn't have them on hand...Would have been nice if they displayed that before I bought the damn things, especially with all of the additional shipping I paid.

"Tack weld", now, will this damage anything? I'm a little confused after reading some of the other topics.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Balance joints? I don't think I have those on mine... ;)
Lmao damn auto correct!
Gotcha. Was expecting to have them here today, but Zone Offroad Canada didn't have them on hand...Would have been nice if they displayed that before I bought the damn things, especially with all of the additional shipping I paid.

"Tack weld", now, will this damage anything? I'm a little confused after reading some of the other topics.
I'm not too sure, I had just read on a few other threads that guys had had a shop tack weld it together as a temporary fix until they got new UCA'S. I had mine put on when I did my level and the guy did it for free because he had it all apart anyway.

Maxtrac Suspension

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey guys we offer a 2013-14 Ram 1500 4wd 2.5" leveling kit that eliminates the need for any aftermarket UCA's or ball joint mods. I made a post about it in our section and on here but I think it got removed from this section because I can't find it anymore. Either way, check out the link to our new leveling kit that will solve the issue while still giving you 2.5" of lift up front. Thanks!! http://www.ramforum.com/f151/new_maxtrac_2013-2014_1500_4wd_2_5_leveling_kit-52043/

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys we offer a 2013-14 Ram 1500 4wd 2.5" leveling kit that eliminates the need for any aftermarket UCA's or ball joint mods. I made a post about it in our section and on here but I think it got removed from this section because I can't find it anymore. Either way, check out the link to our new leveling kit that will solve the issue while still giving you 2.5" of lift up front. Thanks!! http://www.ramforum.com/f151/new_maxtrac_2013-2014_1500_4wd_2_5_leveling_kit-52043/
If I would've known sooner, I might have gone with yours.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Okay, so I've just called my dealership, who I had install the leveling kit for me, where I was told that they've never heard of any apparent issues with ball joints and such. Called ProComp, asked them about it, where the rep told me about 10 times to remove it immediately and that he couldn't believe the dealership installed it for me, as it's not made for my truck.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Okay, so I've just called my dealership, who I had install the leveling kit for me, where I was told that they've never heard of any apparent issues with ball joints and such. Called ProComp, asked them about it, where the rep told me about 10 times to remove it immediately and that he couldn't believe the dealership installed it for me, as it's not made for my truck.

That's crazy, I'm in Mississauga, ON..and the dealership I go to, the tech refused to install the level right away, even though mine is a 2010. He didn't wanna lose his license over ball joints possibly popping and me killing myself. Firestone did mine.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That's crazy, I'm in Mississauga, ON..and the dealership I go to, the tech refused to install the level right away, even though mine is a 2010. He didn't wanna lose his license over ball joints possibly popping and me killing myself. Firestone did mine.
Gotcha. I'm going to call the dealership and ask them to remove it for now and re-install it once I have the zone UCAs. Can't believe they install and sell it without any knowledge of this issue, especially when it poses such a danger.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley