Are offset ball joints necessary for 2.5" leveling kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram15001988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just put a 2.5" leveling kit on my 2012 ram 1500 crew cab big horn just wondering if the offset balljoints are necessary. I had it aligned the very next morning and a guy at work pointed out the positive camber. Mind you I have a set of 1600 dollar 33_12.50x20" Nitro Mud Grapplers and was worried about uneven tire wear. So I took it to a different branch of the same shop that did the alignment and had it re-aligned. It never pulled but I do still feel there is still a little positive camber even after the second alignment. I told both shops I wanted a print out from the alignment machine and neither would give me one but the one Tech told me if its lifted or leveled they can only get it as close as they can. I watched the second guy do the adjusting and he cranked and cranked on both sides back and forth for about an hour but like I said I can still kinda see it. Dont have money for longer arm uca's so has anyone used offset ball joints? Tia

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What leveling kit? Is it a spacer on top of strut, adjustable like a Bilstein or a preload spacer?

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2.5 is bad but I did rough country ucas with my 3" motofab. Much stronger than stock and aligned perfect. Also just as an fyi once lifted they can only adjust tow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reason I asked about the level...if you just installed a spacer on top of the factory strut, you basically pushed all your steering geometry down 2.5”. If you did a preload spacer or a Bilstein, it sits in the same geometry range just a stiffer spring now. Easier to align. My camber is close to needing corrective control arms which is what you mean by the “offset” ball joints.
But 1 have 14k miles of no odd or abnormal wear. Im not eating my tires up. Its only camber that I am questionably at the limit, everything else in spec.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
............ Also just as an fyi once lifted they can only adjust tow.

Why do you say that??

Is there something different about just leveling?

I've got a 4" lift on my '12, and all of the alignment adjustment is still able to be changed.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you use just a space with dropping other things you're unable to adjust because the angles are to far off.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spend the extra $400 with CC or whatever and install it yourself, very easy to do in our trucks. Then have her re-aligned and don't worry about it again. I'll never understand those of you who want to lift the truck so badly to put bigger tires get more clearance or whatever, and skip one of the parts that'll give you better tracking/manuvearibility and will correct your camber/caster to where it should be after the lift. it's a little silly to think just because others choose not to do it that wit'll be ok for you not to. When in doubt better error on the safe side.

OP
OP
R

Ram15001988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow sorry I had no idea anyone replied. Its a rough country 2.5 strut spacer leveling kit (compress the spring with a spacer on top of the coil) and turns out Mavis are a bunch of idiots so I took it to a place that only does alignments to find out my camber bolts on the lower control arm are siezed and thats why they never adjusted my camber. I ordered greasable moog camber bolts brought it back and they couldnt get the old ones out so now I'm waiting for the new lower control arms to come in the mail and going to be trying again. If I cant get the adjustment I need out of those looks like I'll be ordering mevotech ucas and offset ball joints