NEED HELP! this truck is driving me insane!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CG089

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500HD
Engine
5.7hemi
Im sure this has been posted on hundreds of times but, i figured i would just try getting help this route since im not finding it else where.

I have a 2013 ram 2500 4x4 hemi. I bought it with 40,000 miles and it was fine for about 2 months then the problem started. I have had the truck for 2 years and still cant figure out the metal clunking sound.
Ive had dodge look at it 2 times and tell me the dumbest things, i cant believe they even call them selves mechanics. Its coming from the front end and happens at any speed and any road smooth flat doesn't matter. Its worse when i turn. Ive been told so many things I dont know what to do any more. Ive replaced, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, shocks, upper and lower ball joints(that was one of the worst things ive ever had to do haha), tie rod/drag link to the pitman arm down to the knuckle.Nothing has fixed the issue. Only thing left that could be a culprit is steering intermediate shaft, the steering ujoit above the intermediate shaft, track bar bushings, control arm bushings and the connecting tie rod from knuckle to knuckle. On this truck its super hard to tell if its the track bar bushings are bad since i would have to take them off to inspect them and you can buy just the bushings for the track bar but they are pressfit and ive heard its a huge pain. Manufactures seem to be making it harder to fix this they rather you just buy the whole bar with bushings already in it to make more money off us. The bar moves if I use a pry bar but just so slightly, maybe a 1/16 to an 1/8 hard to tell and it rubber so its going to give to some degree. The tie rod connecting each knuckle/wheel to each other doesn't move at all using a prybar so no slop in the ball joints there. I can grab the whole assembly and twist it with my hands, however hard to do but i can, so not sure if that could be an issue. As for the intermediate shaft it looks fine and the upper one looks good to thankfully since you cant buy a replacement for the upper yet apparently. I also went ahead a bought the steering box brace which may help in the long run but im not sure.

I really wish someone could tell me how to fix this cause its beyond ridiculous and im stumped on a solution. My Wife has had it listening to me complain over and over ha guess im nagging ha.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Track bar is easy to test. Start the truck up - have your wife sit in the truck and rock the steering wheel left to right fast. Like from 11 to 1, back and forth. While she is doing that, go under the truck and grab the center of the track bar. If the bushing are bad - you will feel the knock and see it as it's moving up and down from the wheels being turned.

The sway bar bushing are always a complaint. I've removed mine and test drove and it went away. So I had to tighten the **** out of the sway bar nut/washer.

Steering shaft - you'd actually feel in the steering wheel and then pedals. I had that issue in my 2007. Drove me nuts for months before I figured that one out!