2013 6 spd Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I purchased a new 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SB Laramie in January of 2013. Love the truck but my biggest fear with Dodge has come true. I have 32k on the truck and it has now been stuck at the dealership for 2 WEEKS! At about 20K I brought the truck in as the shifting in the trans had gone to crap. Very sluggish and erratic. The dealer informed me it was a software update and when I got the vehicle back it did seem better for about 2 weeks. Busy schedule and life prevented me from going back again so quick so at about 26K I brought it back with the same complaint. Same response, need to re-train the transmission with another software update...... After getting the truck back I did not feel much improvement but it was summer time and lots of family activities so no time to go back until 2 weeks ago. I told them again what I was feeling and this time I was told that they pulled the pan and found metal debris from a failed bearing. It has taken 2 weeks to get a bearing?????????? I am really surprised to have a transmission issue in the firs 32k miles and even more stunned that it takes 2 freaking weeks to fix a new $45k truck. When I am told it takes 2 weeks to get a bearing I have a concern about "national Back Orders" as they usually indicate a bigger problem.

The truck is used for mostly day to day commute to work with a mix of highway and back roads 30 miles a day. It is not a work truck and is only used to tow a 195 Bayliner to and from vacation in NY (4hrs) once a year. Have towed the boat like 4 times in total with the truck including when we purchased the boat.

Anyone else having transmission problems on this Year truck? Thanks.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yikes feel your pain hopefully they have you In a nice rental and are doing everything they can. I'm really worried about my Trans im at 10k on mine and I'm hard on transmission I can tear any of them up. I'm wishing I would have gotten the 8 speed now when I got my truck the 8 speed just came out and made me nerves about being so new but they have turned out to be good transmissions so far. Hopefully they get you fixed up.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
you didnt happen to get a 4.7liter did you? my 2010 with the usually reliable 545rfe started leaking around 20k..

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Ugh, shame they didn't replace the whole transmission, with failed metal debris swimming throughout the transmission before coming to rest in the pan for 12,000 miles. Hope that doesn't lead to another failure later.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might want to ask the dealer to push this upstairs to Chrysler because you think this type of problem deserves a new tranny.

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is a 5.7 Hemi.

Yes I already pushed the dealer last week to say that I have now had the truck in 4 times for transmission related complaints. They replaced a sensor at 17k that was partially internal to the transmission when I first had a problem. Forgot to mention that in the last post. After the sensor is when I had it in for the first round of "software" updates.

I expressed that metal floating around will leave me feeling concerned about other internal components like the valve body and they said that Chrysler will only authorize replacing "parts" if they are "tested" to be damaged...... NOT HAPPY!

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is a 5.7 Hemi.

Yes I already pushed the dealer last week to say that I have now had the truck in 4 times for transmission related complaints. They replaced a sensor at 17k that was partially internal to the transmission when I first had a problem. Forgot to mention that in the last post. After the sensor is when I had it in for the first round of "software" updates.

I expressed that metal floating around will leave me feeling concerned about other internal components like the valve body and they said that Chrysler will only authorize replacing "parts" if they are "tested" to be damaged...... NOT HAPPY!

Don't quit on getting a new tranny. contact Chrysler directly. There is a possibility the dealer is just jerking you around and never even went to Chrysler.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
yes press the **** out of them..in ny theyd be legally obligated to replace the vehicle under lemon law at this point

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
4 times and two weeks, I would think lemon law after 30 days and not having truck.....

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In NJ from what I understand on the lemon law it has to be in the first 18k mikes to qualify for the lemon law.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Jason,
Wasn't the first complaint at 17000 miles?
I wold think it would be when the issue appeared not when the third or fourth visit occurred.

preachp

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes it was. Just picked up the truck. They replaced a whole list of parts in the trans including the valve body. Shifts and runs like it did before the problems...... But now between shifts around 19 and 35 mph funny noises under the dash like bubbles or arching... Weird. Thought I was dragging plastic or something. Back to dealer tomorrow..... Ughhh

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The noises sound like bearings in a can in second and fourth gears. Back at the dealer now. They wanted to send me off in a loaner again told them no. Get Chrysler on the phone.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Man completely bummed for you. What has come from the dealership today? I would be totally pissed! Hopefully someone gets there head out of there ass and figures out a real solution ideal a completely new transmission.

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Left the dealer at 11am as they had determined that it was an inner fender shroud vibrating. I respectfully disagreed but the manager was adamant. I said funny it only happens in fourth and second and while happening if you shift to neutral it instantly goes away. She said that in neutral it still made the noise and it went away when they put in some foam. I drove half a mile and turned around and made her drive with me and proved my point with neutral and second and fourth gear. It is now on to Chrysler engineering.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Holy crap. How easily this could have been resolved properly by a competent dealership so long ago. Are you stuck with this dealer or can you go somewhere that may be able to actually help?

willee51

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 SLT Crew 4x4, 8-spd, Cherry Red
Engine
V-6
I feel your pain.......

Purchased a NEW 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, SLT, 6-cyl, 8-spd, 4x4 in April of 2013.

Damn thing has been in the shop as much as on the road: leaking tranny, 2 times, would not go into gear 2-times, engine suddenly died driving down the road 2-times, when shifting into Lo-gear there would be a "clunk" and feel as though someone bumped us in the rear at about 10-mph (was in the shop 17-days this time alone), etc. etc.

Filed a Virginia Lemon Law suite in 01/2014, still in process :puke:

Now, randomly, if I pull off from a dead stop, I can feel a shutter, as if the tranny is slipping.

Got the oil changed a few weeks ago, and the Service Writer asked me if I noticed a "whine" when in reverse.

Smaller problem: Bluetooth only works about 50% of the time!

Am afraid to drive this thing too far from home, based on its history!

I just want to get this suite over, and move on!!

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well was at dealer again today as Chrysler wanted to have chassis ears on the trans.... Big shock... Its terminal. Now they will replace with a rebuilt trans but I am not too happy about it. Deciding if I should cut losses and go to a 2014 or go Toyota

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since I won't get a new transmission and only a rebuilt one..... As much a I hate to do it, I am going to see if Chrysler steps up and helps me into a 2014.

OP
OP
J

jasonk22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PS drove the Toyota limited crew and GMC Denali today... Don't like either one over my Dodge.