2013 Ram 1500 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RMMCBETH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please watch these videos of my trucks issues. Pass along to others having problems. For all who are interested, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman with a 5.7L Hemi, stock with no upgrades. I have been in the shop 8 times so far for the following:
  1. breaks (new caliper at 2200 miles after caliper locked up at highway speeds causing the truck to become sideways)
  2. breaks (new rotors and pads at 2400 miles after breaks locked up at highway speeds, almost causing a collision)
  3. break drifting (4 alignments, "cant diagnose problem mumbojumbo")
  4. truck bogging down in cold weather ("cant diagnose problem mumbo jumbo")
  5. hard transmission shifting from park to drive etc. ("cant diagnose problem mumbo jumbo" "typical for transmission type")
  6. has not gone into gear at times
  7. air conditioner will turn on by itself ("cant diagnose")
  8. air conditioner will stop blowing or blow too hard for its setting ("cant diagnose")
  9. radio quit working (radio replaced)
  10. new radio malfunctioning (flashed)
  11. new radio manfunctioning after flashed (probable replacement again)
  12. odometer dissapears ("no idea")
  13. truck holds speed and wont slow down (" no idea")
  14. TPMS does not opporate correctly ("cant diagnose")
Two Chrysler Reps have looked at this truck and said that it is fine... well after showing the multiple videos that I have to the Service Director he says there is a problem with my truck but they cant get a code....now hold on....you validate my concern and give me the truck back knowing the problem is not fixed I show you the video then you choke on your tounge!

I would love to hear what problems others are having and check out the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcLRxR5RgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hz-sU1hu_c
2013 Ram 1500 HUGE SAFETY ISSUE!!! - YouTube
2013 Ram 1500 TPMS issue PART 1 of 2 - YouTube
2013 Ram 1500 TPMS issue PART 2 of 2 - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i5O08Pfwng&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnNI6qqQPw&feature=youtu.be

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
3000+ miles is all, but no issues to date minus some build quality issues.

I'd get a lawyer involved if they won't take it back as a lemon!

Chris

Ramlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2013 Tradesman with a Hemi 5.7.
Mine actually came with power locks, power windows and the tow package.
I've only got about 300 miles on it at the moment but so far i have no complaints.
Everything works as it should.
I'll definitely be following this thread and i'll keep you posted as i accumulate more miles.

OP
OP
R

RMMCBETH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Currently I have an attorney and I have been fighting Chrysler. They said that they dont want to buy it back no give me a replacement, there offer was to basically give me a couple houndred bucks for inconvienience haha I will look at getting an actual lawyer and filing a case but man that is not what I am looking at having to deal with for the next year and a half! It is currently at the shop, the service tech said that they have no clue where to start since the computer is not telling them what is wrong, he said they would have to perform an exercism and replace everything...hopefully he can just call Chrysler and say they have a truck that cannot be fixed, which should have been done a while ago.

My truck also came with power windows, locks, tow package and bed liner. However when I got my truck my back seat brackets where already scratched to hell and I had the factory red bolt grease all over my carpet and seat that I did not see through my excitement of purchasing a brand new truck at the dealership.

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently I have an attorney and I have been fighting Chrysler. They said that they dont want to buy it back no give me a replacement, there offer was to basically give me a couple houndred bucks for inconvienience haha I will look at getting an actual lawyer and filing a case but man that is not what I am looking at having to deal with for the next year and a half! It is currently at the shop, the service tech said that they have no clue where to start since the computer is not telling them what is wrong, he said they would have to perform an exercism and replace everything...hopefully he can just call Chrysler and say they have a truck that cannot be fixed, which should have been done a while ago.

My truck also came with power windows, locks, tow package and bed liner. However when I got my truck my back seat brackets where already scratched to hell and I had the factory red bolt grease all over my carpet and seat that I did not see through my excitement of purchasing a brand new truck at the dealership.

What state/country are you in. I know most states have lemon laws where if the vehicle has had more than 3 major issues in a certain amount of time, the state will label it a lemon and the dealership is forced to buy the vehicle back. Hawaii and Texas both have these laws.

OP
OP
R

RMMCBETH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am in Colorado which has the worst lemon law just about. My truck has been in the shop for 35 buisiness days which meets my states Lemon Law but still Chrysler denies buying it back or to do anything so the only thing I can do is file a lawsuit which takes about a year and a half.

Got an update from the shop and the truck needs another stereo so this is number three, they are still working on the electrical issues and they are keeping it over night.

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Contact the BBB about your lemon case. Seriously.

This is correct, if it meets the statues for your lemon law, the BBB will actually step in. There is also another organization that will as well but i can't remember what it is atm.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
In Colorado if the dealer is not a member of the BBB there is very little they can do for you, and if they are, the BBB can attempt to mediate for you, but the dealer is not obligated to do anything.

I filed in 2011 on my dealer, they were not a BBB member, the dealer basically stated I was sabotaging my own truck and they told me to **** off.
The BBB told me that my case would show as a black mark on the dealers rating.
Funny thing is when I checked the BBB's web site at a later date the dealer is NOW a member and there were NO negative judgements against them that pertained to my case. I call BS!

I would proceed legally, and at the same time let the dealer attempt to fix the truck, maybe they will get lucky.

GL

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Well, if that's the case in CO then I don't know what to tell you. For me in N.C. I went through the BBB for my lemon case against Ford. The dealer was not involved at all. Lemon cases typically go against the manufacturer.

Hemiram94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely need to file for lemon. I have the same exact truck and I've experienced the shifting issue twice and told myself on the third time it's going in. Kinda felt like I was shifting to drive after being park on an incline.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Please watch these videos of my trucks issues. Pass along to others having problems. For all who are interested, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Tradesman with a 5.7L Hemi, stock with no upgrades. I have been in the shop 8 times so far for the following:
  1. breaks (new caliper at 2200 miles after caliper locked up at highway speeds causing the truck to become sideways)
  2. breaks (new rotors and pads at 2400 miles after breaks locked up at highway speeds, almost causing a collision)
  3. break drifting (4 alignments, "cant diagnose problem mumbojumbo")
  4. truck bogging down in cold weather ("cant diagnose problem mumbo jumbo")
  5. hard transmission shifting from park to drive etc. ("cant diagnose problem mumbo jumbo" "typical for transmission type")
  6. has not gone into gear at times
  7. air conditioner will turn on by itself ("cant diagnose")
  8. air conditioner will stop blowing or blow too hard for its setting ("cant diagnose")
  9. radio quit working (radio replaced)
  10. new radio malfunctioning (flashed)
  11. new radio manfunctioning after flashed (probable replacement again)
  12. odometer dissapears ("no idea")
  13. truck holds speed and wont slow down (" no idea")
  14. TPMS does not opporate correctly ("cant diagnose")
Two Chrysler Reps have looked at this truck and said that it is fine... well after showing the multiple videos that I have to the Service Director he says there is a problem with my truck but they cant get a code....now hold on....you validate my concern and give me the truck back knowing the problem is not fixed I show you the video then you choke on your tounge!

I would love to hear what problems others are having and check out the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBcLRxR5RgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hz-sU1hu_c
2013 Ram 1500 HUGE SAFETY ISSUE!!! - YouTube
2013 Ram 1500 TPMS issue PART 1 of 2 - YouTube
2013 Ram 1500 TPMS issue PART 2 of 2 - YouTube

ENJOY!!!!!!!!
Time to review the Lemon Law for your state and ensure you have it documented how many times you've been to the dealer for repetitive failures. Even if you don't invoke the L-word, just reminding your dealer and Chrysler that you are aware of it may break loose a little consideration. :greenchainsaw:

OP
OP
R

RMMCBETH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for informing me about the BBB. I looked up the three dealerships that I have taken my truck to and the dealership where I purchased my car is the only BBB accredited dealer; however I think that since my vehicle has neumerous issues it is a manufacturer defect rather than revolving around the dealership to figure out. I will contact the BBB and see what type of leverage they have that can help me.

Here has been the timeline of my issues and what I have done as far as a lemon case:

I first dropped my truck off on 4/01/13 (dealership where I purchased the truck) for the following, the breaks were my main concern considering when I braked at 75 mph the truck procedded to take me into the median, it was so extreme that the driver side sank extremely low and I felt the rear passenger tire wanting to come off the ground. To miss hitting the metal crash barrier I had to overcomponsate a hard turn to the right which caused my truck to get sideways and almost flip.(2260 Miles)

1. Hard shifting from Drive to Park
  2. Bog down at cold ambient temp and when accelerating from low speeds
  3. Cannot remove key from ignition
  4. Hard pull to the left at highway speeds
When I recieved my truck back on 4/04/13 this was the repair response:

1. Could not duplicate concern, scaned for codes, checked fluid
  2. Could not duplicate concern
  3. Could not duplicate concern (*this is a common issue with the shifting column not fully engaged)
  4. Caliper sticking, replaced caliper and bled system
After getting my truck back I was out on the highway and I had to make another hard stop at 75 mph, the truck once again dive bombed to the left at about a 45 degree angle; narroly missing the car to the left of me. I once again returned to the dealer on 4/09/13 for the following (2500 Miles)

1. Brake pull to the left
I recieved my truck back on 4/15/13 and this was the repair response:

1. Replaced front brake pads and rotors
The dealership had a hard time figuring out what was going on with the truck and they needed to engineers help at Chrysler to solve the problem. They took the breaking components off the switched them to the left side, theoretically they thought the truck would go right on a test drive. I went with the 2nd lead mechanic and I got to talking with him after we verified the truck now went right. He told me that when they first replaced the bad caliper, all they did was send a young kid out with my truck around the block to verify the breaks worked; they NEVER took it out on the highway and verified that the truck braked well at high speeds. They are extremely lucky that I did not get into a wreck and injur myself and others or worse!! I could not believe that this is how they treated this situation!

Once getting my truck back the first thing I did was take my truck out on the highway for obvious reasons (root of all evil). I noticed that rather than my truck going left or straight, it was drifting to the right at about a 20 degree angle. This was not during hard breaking, this happened when I slightly tried to slow down from 75mph. Once again I took it in on 4/22/13 for the following: (3073 Miles)

1. Brake drift to the right
I recived my truck back the same day 4/22/13 and this was the repair response:
  1. Could not duplicate concern, measured break temp all normal, no pull at this time
I finally had enough of this dealership so I took it to another dealership in Denver where I work. A Chrysler Star case was started for my truck and let me be the first to tell you WHAT A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. They rarely followed up with me or the dealer, and the dealer rarely followed up with them or me. I took my truck in on 5/23/13 (earliest I could get in) for the following: (5165 Miles)

1. Vehicle pull to the right
The truck was in the shop for FOREVER! I showed the videos that I had of the issue to the head tech. He had the truck for 3 weeks and said they checked some stuff and wanted me to go on a test drive because they could not duplicate it. Well about 5 min into the drive, POW there it is!!! The tech said "Ok I now see what you are talking about and I see why you are concerned, I need to keep the vehicle for longer" Well I left it with them and a Chrysler rep came out to inspect it. He said there is no concern and to give me the vehicle back. I was shocked hearing this from the tech, I asked him " how can you return the vechicle to me with no work done on it after you said you saw this is a safety concern" he said at this time for as long as my truck has been in the shop that his hands were tied. Wow!! I picked my truck up on 6/20/13, 22 buisniness days later...yes 22!

I then submitted my paperwork to Chrysler because I reached 4 repair opportunities and 32 buisiness days in the shop. I recieved confirmation of their recipt of the letter. Well days passed and not a word, I finally called the complaint department and they said sorry sir your case was denied by Chrysler. I asked why I was never informed and they said I dont know... That is finally when I started to get an attorney and paperwork was submitted to Chysler from him asking for repurchase. During this 30 day response time, my stero stoped working. I took it in on 7/26/13 for the following: (6805 Miles)

1. Erratic radio oporation
I recieved the truck back on 7/27/13 and this was the repair response:

1. Verified Fault, replaced radio
Finally hear from Chrysler and they do not want to repurchase my truck. The fight goes on and on and on and on. Finally they ask for a last repair opportunity and I asked for them to verify this is their last attempt since I previously submittied my paperwork for the lemon law. They did not want to do it. I told my attorney that during the time multiple other issues were popping up with my truck and I was just going to take it in, get it fixed and send the new work order reciepts to Chrysler and maybe that will change their mind. I took it in on 10/17/13. A few hours later I get a call back from the dealer saying I need to pick it up and drop it off a few days later because two other Chrysler reps were going to look at it. I complied. On 10/21/13 I submitted this lenghty work order (9374 Miles)

1. Truck drifts to the right during breaking
  2. Hard shifting from P to R, loud clank and rocking motion
  3. Vehicle surges on acceleration
  4. Truck when warm will not go into gear at times
  5. Will hold speed around 15 mph and wont stop
  6. Air will come on by itself
  7. Headlights will turn on and off rapidly for multiple times at dusk
  8. TPMS is erratic
  9. Truck bogs down at cold temp
  10. Truck holds speed at 35 mph
  11. Erratic radio opporation
During the time from 10/17/2013 to 10/21/13 I got video of the truck holding speed at 35 mph and once again the radio messing up so the last two of the list were added to the repair. I got a call the same day to pick my truck up and this was the following response:

1. Adjusted allignment
  2. characteristic of transmission
  3. No issue as customer described
  4. No issue as customer described
  5. No issue as customer described
  6. HVAC Fine
  7. No delay found in lights
  8. TPMS Fine
  9. NO issue found
  10. No issue found
  11. Radio flashed
I picked the truck up and was ferious because it was complete crap. I showed the videos to the Head and said how is this not a problem/safety concern. He said there were no codes so they cant fix it but he will tell the reps what he saw. He called me back and said that the reps told Chrysler and that they talked to my attorney and they did not direct him how to fix it... well they never did and the TPMS, acceleration, breaks, and tranny are still F'ed up!!
Five days passed and once again more new problems!!! The truck is still holding speed, I drove for 2.5 miles with no gas at 25 mph! The radio froze and the odometer was dissapearing! Took it back in on 10/28/13 for the following (9600 Miles)

1. Erratic radio opperation
  2. Erratic electrical opperation
The truck is still in the shop and the radio once agin needed to be replaced to this is the third radio all together. Now I need to find out how to address the acceleration concern because this is a major major safety issue. My Attorney is currently on vacation till monday. I will give him the new repair order and have him once again get a hold of Chysler. I will keep everyone posted of the outcome of theis POS truck!!! The total so far is 8 repair visits, 37 Buisness days and 47 total days in the shop!

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
that is horrible that they dont have the common sense to see that the truck is just bad and buy it back and give you a new one

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whats even worse is the techs at the shops won't really try to diagnos anything from the sounds of it. They were just taught to pull codes and thats a scarry thought.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
^^^That's old news^^^ and the reason why my truck sat on the factory lot for 2 months going through an inspection where they missed two items that I found within a few days of ownership.