2013 Ram backup camera install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tomfromphilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Everyone, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 with a touch screen. I have an auto lock on the tailgate. My question is can I just get a camera handle and replace using the current wiring? Or add a camera somehow to the existing handle without having to add new wiring? Thanks for any info.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to install the handle with the camera and the wiring from the camera into the cab and radio. You will also need the dealer to enable the correct codes or purchase the Alfa OBD app and do it yourself. Most people are buying the Alfa and doing it themselves. It costs about as much as one trip to the dealer and can pretty much add anything you want. You can purchase the complete backup camera kit from mopar. It's a plug and play system once you enable the codes. There are several videos on youtube showing the install. The mopar part# is 82214240AB. It comes with everything you need. There are also aftermarket kits out there but I've never installed one of the aftermarket types so I have no first hand knowledge of there quality. You can contact Benny and Allmoparparts.com in the vendor section on this forum and verify the part# I gave you is correct and order it from him should you decide to buy it. They have great prices and he is very knowledgeable about the parts for these trucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tomfromphilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. So it looks like I will need to run a new wire harness. Just wasn’t sure if I could use the one that was already there. It just seems like a lot of connections just to lock the tailgate.