2014 1500 Express Audio Revamp +

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last weekend I told my g/f I wanted to stop by Car Toys and get a quote on a new audio system for my truck. 3 hours and 6900 later this is what I walked away with. (Not technically, install is scheduled for Tuesday/Wednesday.

2 - JL Audio 12W6V3D4
1 - Kicker 1200W Mono Amp
1 - Kicker 300W 4 Ch (For component speakers)
1 - Kenwood DMX706S Carplay Reciever
2 - Focal 6.5" Component Speakers
2 - Focal 6x9 Component Speakers
1 - Compustar Remote Start
Full Ceramic Tint (Minus windshield)
Backup Cam

They are also installing Stinger X-Mat bc I CANNOT stand rattles.

Also purchased the fox box for 2 12's which will have to be installed at a later date due to the long processing time. I have yet to actually get a shipment date, but they were sure fast to take my money.

All in all, its a big package, includes all the installation, kits, wires, etc.

Its been hard waiting over a week after dropping that kind of cash but I am pretty sure I will not be disappointed with what I got.

Does anyone have anything comparable to this in their truck? The guys at the audio shop were pretty blown away with what Im putting in my truck. I was a bit surprised considering that is what they do.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can’t say I’ve ever dropped more than $2500 in a car or truck install and I’ve never been disappointed with what I put into it whether it was a full system or just pieces and parts of it. Then again, I’ve never had ceramic done to my car. All totaled I think my truck will have $1900 in it between Alpine S component speakers all around and a 2 JL Audio amps and a Maestro to control all the speakers as I have the Infinity package in my truck now and I’m severely disappointed in the sound quality

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t say I’ve ever dropped more than $2500 in a car or truck install and I’ve never been disappointed with what I put into it whether it was a full system or just pieces and parts of it. Then again, I’ve never had ceramic done to my car. All totaled I think my truck will have $1900 in it between Alpine S component speakers all around and a 2 JL Audio amps and a Maestro to control all the speakers as I have the Infinity package in my truck now and I’m severely disappointed in the sound quality

Disappointed?

The biggest cost with my setup is literally the subs. They retail for almost 900.00 each before tax. The amp was another 700.00 and the foxbox was 300.00 plus 70.00 shipping. Just the sub package alone is nearing 3k without wiring and installation.

What with your system are you not happy with?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The highs are not crisp. They’re very muddy. No bass at all and the speakers just don’t sound good at all. I’m guessing most of the issue could have been solved by a better amp or 2. I had to add an amp and replace the sub to even start to hear the sub. It’s just a crappy system and if I was Infinity, I wouldn’t want my name on it. I’ve had crap ass stock GM systems (without Bose or any other name brand added) that have sounded a lot better than the Infinity system in my 13 1500 Crew Cab. Very lackluster at best.

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The highs are not crisp. They’re very muddy. No bass at all and the speakers just don’t sound good at all. I’m guessing most of the issue could have been solved by a better amp or 2. I had to add an amp and replace the sub to even start to hear the sub. It’s just a crappy system and if I was Infinity, I wouldn’t want my name on it. I’ve had crap ass stock GM systems (without Bose or any other name brand added) that have sounded a lot better than the Infinity system in my 13 1500 Crew Cab. Very lackluster at best.

While I was in car toys, I listened to a ton of different component speakers and it is insane how different they all sound. It might just be your hardware. I did listen to the jl w6s with the focals I ended up settling on and it was a perfect pair imo. The focals were not cheap though, I believe 379.00 for the 6x9s and 279.00 fir the 6.5s. Im sure I could have went with kickers or something else but I'd rather invest once and be 110% happy with it then have to spend more money in 6 months.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can agree with what you said Nate! I’m happy with Alpine S speakers and that’s what I’m going with. I’m definitely not putting your selection down as everyone hears things differently and Focal is a great name. I just didn’t want to spend that much on my truck was all.

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can agree with what you said Nate! I’m happy with Alpine S speakers and that’s what I’m going with. I’m definitely not putting your selection down as everyone hears things differently and Focal is a great name. I just didn’t want to spend that much on my truck was all.

I hear ya. I honestly never thought I would be spending as much as I did. My gf of seven years kinda talked new into it as much as I was wanting her to talk me out of it, it didn't go that way. Im glad I did, now I just need to wait to enjoy it. Speaking of, I need to contact fox acoustics about my box status.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looks good Nate, which Car Toys store in WA?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Cool, they are some good guys, been to almost all the CT stores up there.
They do good work.

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, they are some good guys, been to almost all the CT stores up there.
They do good work.

They seemed like good people. I am still stumped on why they were so suprised that I went with what I did for my truck. I would have figured that being an audio store they would not be so ecstatic on installing the setup i chose. Kinda makes me wonder honestly.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
They seemed like good people. I am still stumped on why they were so suprised that I went with what I did for my truck. I would have figured that being an audio store they would not be so ecstatic on installing the setup i chose. Kinda makes me wonder honestly.
well, lets just say your not the norm....most come in unsure what they want, and are looking for $49.00 set of speakers and want them to sound like a $1200 set.
Your the abnormal buyer , but a good one :)

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice set up. I am in the middle of working on my set up. I am hush matting the doors. I have the following: Kenwood DNX 994S for my source, Hertz Hi Energy HSK165 components, Hertz Cieto 62s coaxils, Sky High wiring, Orion xtr 10's, Arc Audio 600.4 and Arc Audio 1100.1

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice set up. I am in the middle of working on my set up. I am hush matting the doors. I have the following: Kenwood DNX 994S for my source, Hertz Hi Energy HSK165 components, Hertz Cieto 62s coaxils, Sky High wiring, Orion xtr 10's, Arc Audio 600.4 and Arc Audio 1100.1

Have you finished your install?
well, lets just say your not the norm....most come in unsure what they want, and are looking for $49.00 set of speakers and want them to sound like a $1200 set.
Your the abnormal buyer , but a good one :)

I picked my truck up today from Car Toys. Everything is super clean, looks great, sounds great. I am still waiting on my foxbox for the most important part of the install sadly. The foculs are a massive upgrade as far as the component speakers and I am loving the new head unit vs the old one.

Aaron was sitting in my truck going over everything with me and he says "Oh yeah man, I almost forgot but I think you will be very happy".

Apparently the manager was so impressed with what I was having installed that they tacked on a full 4 year warranty on EVERYTHING I got from them. Absolutely zero cost to me. That alone speaks volumes about their customer service.

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My install is not finished yet. Still need to mount amps and install sub box and subs. Hopefully this Sunday will be done

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My install is not finished yet. Still need to mount amps and install sub box and subs. Hopefully this Sunday will be done

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I seem still waiting on my fox box. Apparently they ate way behind on orders. As soon as it gets here my sub's are going in and it will be finished

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seem still waiting on my fox box. Apparently they ate way behind on orders. As soon as it gets here my sub's are going in and it will be finished
I understand how you feel. Hopefully you will have it real soon. I cam just waiting on Sunday to get here its been a long process. I know how it sounds with out amplification or subs and its great. No distortion at all. So I know how it will be when amps and subs are in.

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I understand how you feel. Hopefully you will have it real soon. I cam just waiting on Sunday to get here its been a long process. I know how it sounds with out amplification or subs and its great. No distortion at all. So I know how it will be when amps and subs are in.

It still shows as processing on my account on fox acoustics. I ordered it 6/17. I leave for Michigan for two weeks on wednesday so its looking like the sub install will have to wait at least another 3 weeks unfortunately.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956