8 speed transmission change kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you did a fine job.

You are preaching to the choir here, I am a chronic worrier....lol. I will sometimes worry about things that are months away, or have not even, or may never happen.

I take a look underneath from time to time while I'm doing other stuff, checking for evidence of possible leaks, etc.

I am very leery having to have anyone else do work on my truck, even stuff like tires, but sometimes have to let that go, but anything I can do myself, I will if able, for my own piece of mind.
Same... I've been under the truck twice since I finished and I took it for a second test drive to to be sure it felt normal and no lights turned on on the dash. Coming to a stop I felt it jerk a little bit I'm 99% sure it was just how I was hitting the brakes because I was listening and feeling for the downshift to first and slowing to a stop a lot slower than most normally do.

My wife drove it to work and in the morning I'm sure I'll be under it again looking for wet spots around the pan before I take my daughter to her soccer game. I always make sure I park it over a clean dry area for a while also. I probably need medication.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same... I've been under the truck twice since I finished and I took it for a second test drive to to be sure it felt normal and no lights turned on on the dash. Coming to a stop I felt it jerk a little bit I'm 99% sure it was just how I was hitting the brakes because I was listening and feeling for the downshift to first and slowing to a stop a lot slower than most normally do.

My wife drove it to work and in the morning I'm sure I'll be under it again looking for wet spots around the pan before I take my daughter to her soccer game. I always make sure I park it over a clean dry area for a while also. I probably need medication.

Many of us are the same way. I have a 3.6L V6 truck and I replaced the notorious oil filter housing/cooler almost four months ago. Required draining down the coolant and replacing the oil to do the job. I bled the cooling system twice and used a burp funnel to fill the antifreeze three times. Still not convinced I had it correct I had a buddy use his vacuum filler on the coolant system and it took zero new coolant yet I’m still driving around with the system temps displayed on the evic four months later lol

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Many of us are the same way. I have a 3.6L V6 truck and I replaced the notorious oil filter housing/cooler almost four months ago. Required draining down the coolant and replacing the oil to do the job. I bled the cooling system twice and used a burp funnel to fill the antifreeze three times. Still not convinced I had it correct I had a buddy use his vacuum filler on the coolant system and it took zero new coolant yet I’m still driving around with the system temps displayed on the evic four months later lol
The system temps screen is displayed continuously in my '15.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the transmission temp displayed too. I took the truck on a 45 minute drive to my kids soccer game and the hottest that temp got was maybe 162 which never passed the centermark on the temp guage. Most of the trip I was between 70 and 80mph on the interstate and I really gunned it one time to get around a car doing strange things in front of me.

When I parked at the soccer field and started walking across the lot I noticed random wet spots that followed the path I just drove and it took everything in me not to climb back under my truck. Only thing that stopped me was all the traffic with my son beside me and my hands full of chairs. I checked when I got home and everything was clean and dry so it was not from my truck.

When I replaced my water pump I think I checked for leaks every time I drove for at least a week and I still check for wet spots underneath now. The gasket for my old pump fell apart and leaked for a while before I realized what was happening. Luckily it was a slow leak and I never overheated.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the truck on a 45 minute drive to my kids soccer game and the hottest that temp got was maybe 162 which never passed the centermark on the temp guage.

That’s a great temp. Mine usually runs in the upper 170’s.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine runs right around 190 once warm.
You guys are making me question if I was even looking at the right temp. Wouldn't 190 be on the hot side of the gauge? 162ish was right in the middle for mine.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Digital display on my dash, where it has always ran. I will be doing another service around 200k. Money is tight, though.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are making me question if I was even looking at the right temp. Wouldn't 190 be on the hot side of the gauge? 162ish was right in the middle for mine.

It’s normal for the 8 speed transmissions in the Rams to run 180-200F. The EPA mandates for fuel economy push manufacturers to squeeze every mpg out of them they can get. Any transmission tech will tell you heat is the number one enemy of transmissions. The Chargers use the same transmissions and run a lot cooler so cooler is no problem. There are aftermarket solutions available to lower these transmission temps because again heat is the enemy. As far as the correct temperature gauge I use the readout in the picture below as it gives a more accurate temperature than the gauge display.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 6

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s normal for the 8 speed transmissions in the Rams to run 180-200F. The EPA mandates for fuel economy push manufacturers to squeeze every mpg out of them they can get. Any transmission tech will tell you heat is the number one enemy of transmissions. The Chargers use the same transmissions and run a lot cooler so cooler is no problem. There are aftermarket solutions available to lower these transmission temps because again heat is the enemy. As far as the correct temperature gauge I use the readout in the picture below as it gives a more accurate temperature than the gauge display.
The JD power Cost of Ownership (or whatever that stupid thing is) plays into it as well. Plus the OEM doesn't want us to keep the vehicles longer than the loan period anyway (4-8 years) before we replace it with new, and they want the Used market to collapse, as I assume they don't get much for a used sale, so they want the vehicle to be "cheap" to run for a few years, but then have some "reasonable" failure after a few years, so it gets scrapped off...

IE why ZF says the 8HP70 should be serviced on a reasonable frequency, but RAM says it's good for "Life".

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The JD power Cost of Ownership (or whatever that stupid thing is) plays into it as well. Plus the OEM doesn't want us to keep the vehicles longer than the loan period anyway (4-8 years) before we replace it with new, and they want the Used market to collapse, as I assume they don't get much for a used sale, so they want the vehicle to be "cheap" to run for a few years, but then have some "reasonable" failure after a few years, so it gets scrapped off...

IE why ZF says the 8HP70 should be serviced on a reasonable frequency, but RAM says it's good for "Life".
^^^^This^^^^

When it dies, it's "lifetime" is up.