2014 8 speed Diablo trans Tuning poll

Was your 2014 Ram 8 speed trans tunable using DiabloSport?

• Yes, successful

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No, failure

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Just thought I’d throw a quick poll together for guys that have or have not had issues with tuning the 8 speeds using these devices.

I’d appreciate any reasoning if you were unable to communicate via firmware or other failure modes. Maybe drop in your door build date or dealer reflash for added reference.

I’ll be rolling the dice shortly with a custom tune myself. Also, I don’t think it is a variable but state whose custom tune you uploaded even if it was on the dyno.

TIA

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just thought I’d throw a quick poll together for guys that have or have not had issues with tuning the 8 speeds using these devices.

I’d appreciate any reasoning if you were unable to communicate via firmware or other failure modes. Maybe drop in your door build date or dealer reflash for added reference.

I’ll be rolling the dice shortly with a custom tune myself. Also, I don’t think it is a variable but state whose custom tune you uploaded even if it was on the dyno.

TIA

Seems to be the 13's and earlier built 14's that have issues with Diablo and 8 speed tranny tuning.Thought I heard through the grapevine,that Diablo had figured out some of the earlier tranny tuning issues,but like I said that was through the grapevine.If you end being unlucky,HP tranny tuning is available,they can tune all the 8 speeds.There's a few trucks running around with a Diablo engine tune,and a HP tranny tune,they can be combined/stacked

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Good to know on the stacking, I’ve exchanged emails with both JG and Moe’s recently and they are both under the impression that the 14s are still a toss up.

MRImike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 with the 8 sp. I just tried to install my new Diablo i3 Titanium and the only option I had for tuning on it was a canned transmission tune. Not one other option in the custom settings. I have the worst luck with these tuners. I had a SC f5 and couldn’t get it update through my computer. Talk about frustration! My 2006 Was a piece of cake to load and use the Superchips. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2014 with the 8 sp. I just tried to install my new Diablo i3 Titanium and the only option I had for tuning on it was a canned transmission tune. Not one other option in the custom settings. I have the worst luck with these tuners. I had a SC f5 and couldn’t get it update through my computer. Talk about frustration! My 2006 Was a piece of cake to load and use the Superchips. [emoji2369]

On my '16 Ram and '18 Challenger neither could modify A8 settings from the i3 in their canned perf tune, which IMO is crap. The only real option is a custom tune to get the 8 speed dialed in the way you want which was the route I was going anyways. If you want to be able to modify the shift points yourself without getting a custom tune the only real option is going to HPTuners.

MRImike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My plan is to get a custom tune. But I’m confused why there’s no options for even mds shut off or tire size changes or canned engine tunes available.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
My plan is to get a custom tune. But I’m confused why there’s no options for even mds shut off or tire size changes or canned engine tunes available.

I was under the assumption you would still have those options. I'll let you know in a couple days when mine arrives and I plan to test canned features before uploading a custom tune. The vender I purchased from (midwest aftermarket) did confirm the unit has the latest and greatest firmware.

Which model do you have, I3 8345?

MRImike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told to keep updating and installing repeatedly until it worked out the bugs on install.

It took quite a while but they were right. Everything looks to have finally installed correctly now.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Dyno proof in the canned tunes right here. Negotiated mine down to $350 btw, we’ll see what the rear end says.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Uploaded both the advanced 87 octane & perf. trans canned tunes(didn’t get feedback this was confirmed from the handheld) this morning. Obvious difference in open loop shift precision/firmness and 3-6k RPM pull. Once I get the 87 out this week with intent for mpg I’ll upload and gas up with 93 Diablo.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Haven’t sniffed over 20mpg since the OEM tire setup 40k miles ago. Rolling on a 33x13” wide wheel package with a half level. 5700 pounds dressed, the shifts have quickened but I believe there are improvements that can be made custom.

This tuner will pay itself back quickly for my application.

2D3FE072-CC22-495D-8450-F6955FA24FA7.jpeg

3.92 4x4 btw ;)

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Having shift point problems keeping me out of the power-band. Will try manual mode as my I3 is set for 6050 and test once it stops raining down here in Mexico. Currently shifts a bit over 5500 and the engine is still pulling hard.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to be the 13's and earlier built 14's that have issues with Diablo and 8 speed tranny tuning.Thought I heard through the grapevine,that Diablo had figured out some of the earlier tranny tuning issues,but like I said that was through the grapevine.If you end being unlucky,HP tranny tuning is available,they can tune all the 8 speeds.There's a few trucks running around with a Diablo engine tune,and a HP tranny tune,they can be combined/stacked
I am one of the guys running diablo for PCM tuning and hptuners for TCM tuning on my 2014.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
So your 14 wouldn't take the perf. trans tune or a custom TCM tune?

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Tim, bumping this as I am interested to see how you got on. I am about to use an i3 on my 14 sport and getting concerned about other users bricking their PCM. I am based in the UK, so i'd like to be sure that this isn't going to happen..
Did you manage to load a custom TCM tune?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Once my intune3 device was updated to the latest firmware through a PC and Diablosports website, I had zero issues loading any canned or custom PCM/TCM tune. Probably have uploaded close to 30 different revisions, just be patient and understand the sequence of operations when navigating the device.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Once my intune3 device was updated to the latest firmware through a PC and Diablosports website, I had zero issues loading any canned or custom PCM/TCM tune. Probably have uploaded close to 30 different revisions, just be patient and understand the sequence of operations when navigating the device.

Tim what / whose tune did you end up settling on?

Boss_Ram_UK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Tim! I’ll most likely try uploading a canned tune this weekend. Any tips? I read something about make that A/C and radio etc was switched off to ensure power supply to i3 was uninterrupted and not drain battery. Is it a lengthy process?
Thanks.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Jay Greene has been handling the custom tuning using his software/datalogging. Your first download/save/upload will take ~20 minutes using the handheld. Recommended to turn off all accessories because if you drop down under minimum voltage during the initial transfers, the control modules will need to be sent out for full reinstall.

All revisions or mod uploads are less than 5 minutes. I've switched octane tunes before my 26 gallon tank can fill up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Tim! I’ll most likely try uploading a canned tune this weekend. Any tips? I read something about make that A/C and radio etc was switched off to ensure power supply to i3 was uninterrupted and not drain battery. Is it a lengthy process?
Thanks.

It doesn't hurt to throw a battery charger on the battery while you're playing with your tuner,always better to be safe then sorry.