2014 and 2017 electrical swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieselpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2017
Engine
1st time posting Sorry in advance.
Good morning. I will start off by saying electrical and understanding of it is my downfall due to a lack of understanding not effort. With that said I need some help.

I have a 2017 laramie long bed with 6.7-68rfe built, tuned, lifted,banks, thureen you get the point. I was hit head on. On a two lane highway. My truck AKA White Rhino is totaled. About 16k in parts and a bent frame. *still waiting for insurance to pay out.

I am in Oregon and flew to MN and bought a 2014 6.7 Short Bed bighorn with a G56. I drove it back to Oregon with a 6 pounds boost at best.
My plan was/is to make the 2014 bighorn g56 into a longbed laramie with the two trucks i own.
I started swapping parts over like amp steps ,led rear bumper light and VGT turbo. I planned on swapping over my laramie interior and started checking wiring for my seats and everything is plug and play. Tested the wiring at the controls for heated seats and they work. I went to hit the cooled seats and low and behold the button is not there. Laramie has 8.4 uconnect and the bighorn has the 5’’ screen. * This is when I noticed the wiring harness was different. Not shy of work and my dash and steering wheel airbags went off. I tore out the dash to get the Dash harness to swap over to make my life easy. Well that's what I thought. After tearing everything apart and getting the dash harness out the two connections for that harness do not match the two connections in the older truck.
I took a break and learned about the RF hub keyless entry push button start. That I assumed would all work off the dash Harness I removed from the laramie. Took both drivers' door panels off to find a massive difference.

So here I am feeling stuck. So my next though was ****** please correct me if i am wrong here.
I will pull out any and all internal wiring with the BCM and swap into the new truck in hopes i can retain the options from the laramie. Knowing the PCM has to stay on the trucks it came with due to one being 68rfe and the other being G56.
I am just not sure If i am overthinking this or being a complete idiot. I am up for a challenge just lack the understanding.

I feel like i am not upgrading , but trying to work backwards to get back what i had.

On the motor side of things I ordered some spicy tuning from ppei. South bend dual disc fass 150 injectors some nice nozzles a bigger cp3 S300 top mount and a second gen manifold arp stud head gasket and some 110 valve springs rockers push rods and stems

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@Dieselpete Welcome to RamForum. I moved this thread into the 4th Gen section for more views/responses.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
1st time posting Sorry in advance.
Good morning. I will start off by saying electrical and understanding of it is my downfall due to a lack of understanding not effort. With that said I need some help.

I have a 2017 laramie long bed with 6.7-68rfe built, tuned, lifted,banks, thureen you get the point. I was hit head on. On a two lane highway. My truck AKA White Rhino is totaled. About 16k in parts and a bent frame. *still waiting for insurance to pay out.

I am in Oregon and flew to MN and bought a 2014 6.7 Short Bed bighorn with a G56. I drove it back to Oregon with a 6 pounds boost at best.
My plan was/is to make the 2014 bighorn g56 into a longbed laramie with the two trucks i own.
I started swapping parts over like amp steps ,led rear bumper light and VGT turbo. I planned on swapping over my laramie interior and started checking wiring for my seats and everything is plug and play. Tested the wiring at the controls for heated seats and they work. I went to hit the cooled seats and low and behold the button is not there. Laramie has 8.4 uconnect and the bighorn has the 5’’ screen. * This is when I noticed the wiring harness was different. Not shy of work and my dash and steering wheel airbags went off. I tore out the dash to get the Dash harness to swap over to make my life easy. Well that's what I thought. After tearing everything apart and getting the dash harness out the two connections for that harness do not match the two connections in the older truck.
I took a break and learned about the RF hub keyless entry push button start. That I assumed would all work off the dash Harness I removed from the laramie. Took both drivers' door panels off to find a massive difference.

So here I am feeling stuck. So my next though was ****** please correct me if i am wrong here.
I will pull out any and all internal wiring with the BCM and swap into the new truck in hopes i can retain the options from the laramie. Knowing the PCM has to stay on the trucks it came with due to one being 68rfe and the other being G56.
I am just not sure If i am overthinking this or being a complete idiot. I am up for a challenge just lack the understanding.

I feel like i am not upgrading , but trying to work backwards to get back what i had.

On the motor side of things I ordered some spicy tuning from ppei. South bend dual disc fass 150 injectors some nice nozzles a bigger cp3 S300 top mount and a second gen manifold arp stud head gasket and some 110 valve springs rockers push rods and stems
So, one thing I "think" is that your 2017 BCM probably has more programmable features than the 2014. That being said, I can't help really with the wiring questions other than to point you to this site which will give you wiring and harness information for both trucks...

We have a forum member (@Mpgrimm2 ) and vendor (of M2Mods) who makes custom harnesses for adding factory accessories who is very familiar with what is and isn't on some vehicles and how to add popular mods with the custom harnesses he sells. You might not need to buy anything since you have a whole donor truck, but he might be able to sell you a small adapter as opposed to swapping body harnesses or at least tell you what to pull from the truck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Oh boy...
Much of the wiring harneses between the 2014 man Trans BigHorn and 2017 Laramie Auto Trans 2500 trucks may not be directly compatible ... even if the plugs look the same and match up. Ram/Stellantis has a habit of moving signals around in the connectors between years, models, etc. I know for a fact the dash harnesses aren't the same b/c 2017 mic wiring is in headliner vs rearview mirror (& different sides of dash harness just to start).

You're going to be looking at needing "Add-on" harnesses where appropriate for many of the upgrades. Some things are compatible, some are not (parts and harnesses).

Sent you a message

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517