2014 Level question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sorry for posting another level question but I couldn't seem to find what I needed using the search. With that said, I have a 2014 1500 4x4 that I'm looking to level, im pretty much sold on the bilstein 5100 level at the 2.1 setting but I had a few follow up questions. What is the largest tire I could run on my stock 20x8 rims? I'm looking to gain a little extra height with the tires but I would like to avoid using spacers. Also I unfortunately have 3.21 gears, will that effect the tire size I can run? It's a brand new truck so I would like to avoid any big issues. Thank you in advance!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beware that there have been problems leveling the '14's with the upper ball joints popping out of the upper control arms. Do a search on here for details. Most people leveling them have had to change the upper control arms with aftermarket options, like zone or Mevotech, or use 09-12 upper control arms to avoid the problem.

Also, going much larger than stock tire size with 3:21 may make the truck a bit of a dog even if they fit physically. Regearing can be problematic on the '14's if you have 4wd because of the front diff. There are several threads on here about that too.

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Bilsteins are a good way to go for a level, but like NYCruiser said many have had issues on 2014 trucks with the ball joints popping out. I put Mevotech UCA'S on mine when I did the level so I never took the chance. If you go the Mevotech route make sure that you get then painted because the finish that's on them is garbage.

There's nothing wrong with spacers IF you spend the money and buy quality. I loved the Longhorn wheels and didn't want to go aftermarket so I went the spacers route. BORA spacers are the best out there. They're custom made for you and they're hub centric. They're rated for 30,000 lbs and have a lift time warranty. They've given me a nice stance and the ability to rub 35's.

If you want a slightly taller tire to help fill out the wheel well if go with (because of your 3.21's) a 275/65/20. They're a bit taller (34's) but stay the same width as stock so they won't hurt you're mileage and power too much. Be aware though that unless you go to a smaller tire you will lose mileage, maybe not a lot but the stock tires are very light. (Idk if it matters to you)

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was wanting to do the same thing with my truck... Bilstein set up, stock sport wheels. I thought the ball joint problem was if you went any higher than the 2.1 setting? This really sucks if I'm going to have to replace the upper control arms too!

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I do go with the 275/65s do you guys have any suggestions on light tires that still have an aggressive look? Thank you for the replies.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
The ball joint popping isn't near as much of an issue with leveling with Bilsteins like it is with spacers. It typically pops when the front suspension is overextended as it can't handle the angle. Bilstein's prevent the front suspension from overextending past the OEM spec. So don't be too concerned about the ball joint popping with Bilsteins at 2.1", it's unlikely.

On stock wheels with no spacers the largest tire you can run is 285 wide to avoid any rubbing issues at all. A 285/60/20 or 285/65/20 would work. As xrsman said, there's nothing wrong with spacers as long as you buy good ones, not the cheap generic ones. Motorsport Tech's 10mm hub centric spacers will allow you to run a full 35x12.5 tire if you want to however they would take more of a toll on your truck since you have 3.21's.

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ball joint popping isn't near as much of an issue with leveling with Bilsteins like it is with spacers. It typically pops when the front suspension is overextended as it can't handle the angle. Bilstein's prevent the front suspension from overextending past the OEM spec. So don't be too concerned about the ball joint popping with Bilsteins at 2.1", it's unlikely.

On stock wheels with no spacers the largest tire you can run is 285 wide to avoid any rubbing issues at all. A 285/60/20 or 285/65/20 would work. As xrsman said, there's nothing wrong with spacers as long as you buy good ones, not the cheap generic ones. Motorsport Tech's 10mm hub centric spacers will allow you to run a full 35x12.5 tire if you want to however they would take more of a toll on your truck since you have 3.21's.

Theoretically that's pretty accurate, as no one seems to have problems with the Rancho Quicklift's because they use their own springs. That being said, the Bilstein shocks use the original springs, so they have quite a bit of travel before maxing out. Some have had problems, some haven't. Unfortunately the only way to find out how your truck would respond to Bilsteins is by putting some on. I just ordered the MaxTrac leveling kit that uses a small spacer and a small coil spacer to give a total of 2.5" they swear won't hurt the balljoints. I wanted the Bilstein's, but not the problems, the Rancho's but not the price, so I sacrificed and met in the middle. Can't really speak to how they hold up because they're sitting right next to me waiting for the weekend to roll around.

NUTT00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JCJ Wher did you order the Maxtrac Kit at? I checked for one a while ago, but can't seem to locate it. About how much does it run?

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
For the OP, I have a 2014 Express 4x4 black truck edition. I have the stock painted wheels and I'm running 295/60s. I also have the 3.21s :****sweak:8

I only rub at full lock, but it's minor. From my interwebz research a 1/4" spacer should clear it up. Right now I'm torn between keeping the stock wheels - which I love - and getting spacers or going aftermarket 20x9s with a +1 offset (5" backspacing).

As for performance, yes you are going to take a hit both in the feel and mpg. I just passed 11k on the odo and changed my tires around 2,500. When you first change tires, you really notice it. Now that it's been a few thousand miles, I don't even remember the feel of the drive before. Truck still has plenty of power to spin the tires. I just have to give it a little more skinny pedal than with stock tires. I went from 17-19 mpg and I could get it to 20 mpg when I wanted to. Now it's down to 14-15 mpg. That **** I do remember every time I fill up. But, it's probably more like 15 mpg since I haven't reprogrammed for the taller tires.

I hope to move up to 37s and 4" or 6" of lift in the next 2-3 years. I have no problems with minor trimming (or even major trimming) to get them to fit. I have time to plan it out - AND save.

Whatever you decide, good luck and post pics. Document your build so that the next person to do it has your thread to help guide them. I've noticed there aren't a whole lot of very detailed builds for Rams. I came from the jeep jk world, and there were TONS of detailed build threads with a whole lot of different combinations to go off of.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you again for the posts. I don't mind spending the extra money on the Rancho quick lifts if they have less issues than the bilsteins. Can anyone confirm this or is it theoretical? Is anyone running these on a '14?

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JCJ Wher did you order the Maxtrac Kit at? I checked for one a while ago, but can't seem to locate it. About how much does it run?

Off of eBay from NeverEnoughAuto for $180

Thank you again for the posts. I don't mind spending the extra money on the Rancho quick lifts if they have less issues than the bilsteins. Can anyone confirm this or is it theoretical? Is anyone running these on a '14?

There's another thread on this site where a few people responded saying they've been running there Rancho's with no problems and I've yet to find one that has said they've encountered any problems. As an addition, the Rancho's are adjustable. Not downing the Bilsteins at all because I like the idea of an adjustable ride height, but I had adjustable comfort like the Rancho's offer on my old truck and I loved being able to control the ride quality.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, looks like I have some reading to do. How is the ride with the Maxtrac level? I hadn't considered spacers because of the normal issues but maxtrac seems to have figured it out.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured I would throw a quick update out there. I just ordered the Maxtrac level today. I will attempt to post pics when I get it installed.

JCJ4290

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leveling kit was pretty easy to install. The biggest problem I had was the shock strut tower bolt refused to come out of the strut as it appears to have rusted faster than a fat girl eats cake! Absurd and pissed me off, but the rest was pretty easy.

The ride? It rides pretty much the same as factory as you are using the same shocks and springs. Only thing is that the back sits pretty level which ironically looks odd, so I may throw a 1" spacer on the rear to give it a little more weight in the front and a slight rake.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! Just got an email that the kit is back ordered until 3-30 so I may order a 1" for the back while I wait.

Nomad127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After researching here and other places, I purchased a Maxtrac 2.5 level kit with a rear spacer/shock combo. I had the same problem as JCJ4290 regarding the rusted front strut bolt. I took one to the local Dodge dealer to see if they had a special tool and after almost an hour, we ended up cutting it off to remove the spring. That meant new struts that I didn't plan on purchasing. For a truck (in the south) with less than 8000 miles and only 8 months old, I was pretty pissed.

Anyway, the look is what I wanted and the ride seems OK with a little clunky feel/sound from the rear. Nothing too annoying though. What is killing me is a loud squeaking coming from the front passenger side. Loud enough to cause people to turn and look as I roll by. I've spoken to Maxtrac, greased every possible point, re-torqued everything and still no relief. I'm very close to removing the Maxtrac front and chunking it.