2014 Ram 1500 Air Suspension Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RJWNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my '14 Ram 1500 Sport CC with a 6'4" bed with Air Suspension...wanted to show the different heights and how the system works...

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Air Ride Suspension

Measurements are from GROUND to FENDERLIP (inches)

Entry/Exit: Front=34.25 Rear=36.5

20131121_155912_zps7953839b.jpg

Normal Ride Height: Front =36.5 Rear=38.5

20131121_155949_zps447bd861.jpg

OffRoad1: Front =37.5 Rear=39

20131121_160012_zps990eccef.jpg

OffRoad2: Front =38.5 Rear=40

20131121_160029_zpsb99200db.jpg

-The air suspension system provides full time load leveling capability along with the benefit of being able to adjust the vehicle height by the push of a button.

-automatic height changes will occur based on the vehicle speed and the current vehicle hieight. The indicator lamps and EVIC messages will operate the same for automatic changes and user requested changes.

-Description

-Normal Ride Height (NRH) – This is the standard position of the suspension and is meant for normal driving.

-Off-Road 1 (OR1) (Raises the vehicle approximately 1 inch (26mm)) – This position should be the primary position for all off-road driving until Off-Road 2 is needed. A smoother more comfortable ride will result. To enter OR1 press the “UP” button once from the NRH position while the vehicle speed is below 35 PH. When in the OR1 position, if the vehicle speed remains between 40 MPH and 50 MPH for greater than 20 secs, of the vehicle exceeds 50 MPH the vehicle will automatically lower to NRH. Off Road 1 may not be available due to payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

-Off-Road 2 (OR2) (Rises the vehicle approximately 2 inches(51 mm)) – This position is intended for off-roading use only where maimum ground clearance is required. To enter OR2, press “Up” button twice from the NRH position or once from the OR1 position while vehicle speed is below 20 MPH. While in OR2, if the vehicle speed exceeds 25 MPH, the vehicle will be lowered to OR1. Off Road 2 may not be available due to payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

-Aero mode (Lowers the vehicle .6 in(15mm))-1500 models only – This position provides improved aerodynamics by lowering the vehicle The vehicle goes into Aero mode when the vehicle speed remains between 62 MPH and 66 MPH for greater than 20 secs, of if the vehicle exceeds 66 MPH. The vehicle will return to NRH from aero mode if the vehicle speed remains between 30 MPH and 35 MPG for greater than 20 secs, of if the vehicle speed falls below 30 MPH.

-Aero Mode can be disable through the EVIC system.

-Entry/Exit mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 2 in (51 mm)) – This position lowers the vehicle for easier passenger entry and exit as well as lowering the rear of the vehicle for easier loading and unloading of cargo. To enter Entry/Exit mode, press the down button once from the NHR while the vehicle speed is below 33 MPH. Once the vehicle speed goes below 15 MPH, the vehicle will begin to lower. If the vehicle speed remains between 15 MPH and 25 MPH for greater than 60 secs, or the vehicle speed exceeds 25 MPH the Entry/Exit change will be cancelled. To return to Normal Height mode, press the “Up” button once while Entry/Exit or drive the vehicle over 15 MPH. Entry/Exit mode may not be available due to vehicle payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to add that Aero Mode is not available if you're in Tow Mode.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the details !! I was gonna say that's awesome to get the air ride, and drive around in OR1 all the time. It would save the hassle of leveling lol, but its limited to speed which kind of sucks.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck, I have the same model.
Do you ever get a low battery msg. when going to entry/exit mode with the motor off? This is after the truck sits overnight

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Very cool I just hope it does not wear out due to all that adjusting. I wish it could be in any mode whenever the driver wanted. I would use aero on highway and off road 2 in winter before roads are cleared sometimes.

$miley

Canuckfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the identical truck.

I like it a lot.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Holy crap I need black projectors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can disable Aero mode if you like.

Rday63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck, I have the same model.
Do you ever get a low battery msg. when going to entry/exit mode with the motor off? This is after the truck sits overnight

My first time to any forum, very informative so far. I just purchased the same Ram 1500 truck with the air suspension a couple weeks ago. Interesting that the low battery with air suspension message came on a day after I purchased it. They put in a new battery when I took delivery, so assumed it wasn't up to full charge. It actually went away after a couple days of driving. Then after 11 days the front end dropped and a message popped up to "Service Air Suspension Immediately" The dealership told me the system was bulletproof, I was a little hesitant to purchase the system initially. Still waiting to get the verdict on what is wrong, 11 days with my new truck and 5 and counting without. I will advise what the actual problem is once they fix, hopefully the battery warning is not an indicator of future issues.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first time to any forum, very informative so far. I just purchased the same Ram 1500 truck with the air suspension a couple weeks ago. Interesting that the low battery with air suspension message came on a day after I purchased it. They put in a new battery when I took delivery, so assumed it wasn't up to full charge. It actually went away after a couple days of driving. Then after 11 days the front end dropped and a message popped up to "Service Air Suspension Immediately" The dealership told me the system was bulletproof, I was a little hesitant to purchase the system initially. Still waiting to get the verdict on what is wrong, 11 days with my new truck and 5 and counting without. I will advise what the actual problem is once they fix, hopefully the battery warning is not an indicator of future issues.

Please keep us posted on what happens. I suspect that you will get the low battery msg. again if you use the remote control to lower the truck without the engine running. My guess is that even though the battery is good, the module that is sensing the voltage is getting a low reading...or it is programmed with a threshold value that is wrong.

I too am nervous on the air suspension...it is great as long as it works....just afraid something will break on it.

Dan

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Please keep us posted on what happens. I suspect that you will get the low battery msg. again if you use the remote control to lower the truck without the engine running. My guess is that even though the battery is good, the module that is sensing the voltage is getting a low reading...or it is programmed with a threshold value that is wrong.

I too am nervous on the air suspension...it is great as long as it works....just afraid something will break on it.

Dan

Yeah, I'm interested to see how it holds up.

If you look up the history of them, it's a little scary. lol
It's a great idea though, my wife complains every time she gets in the truck...Since it sits so high..haha

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I'm getting the same white truck with air susp in Limited ed. What front rear lights do you have? Thinking about chrome or smoke rear tail lights.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm getting the same white truck with air susp in Limited ed. What front rear lights do you have? Thinking about chrome or smoke rear tail lights.

I have a limited Edition also. This version comes with projector HL and LED tail lights. I value safety over looking cool, so I would go with a dark red lens if I did anything at all. I don't want somebody rearending me while texting....it would interrupt my text..:mfr_omg:

I wish we had DRL..kinda thinking about aftermarket ones. The air dam has a great mounting spot.

Dan

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0
I have a limited Edition also. This version comes with projector HL and LED tail lights. I value safety over looking cool, so I would go with a dark red lens if I did anything at all. I don't want somebody rearending me while texting....it would interrupt my text..:mfr_omg:

I wish we had DRL..kinda thinking about aftermarket ones. The air dam has a great mounting spot.

Dan

I just ordered the morimoto DRL LED strips, and will try to place in the lower front air dam. If that doesn't work well, I will use them as supplemental backup lights, mounting under rear bumper.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered the morimoto DRL LED strips, and will try to place in the lower front air dam. If that doesn't work well, I will use them as supplemental backup lights, mounting under rear bumper.

Do you plan one adding a control relay so they are only on during the day.
I was considering this one since it was a very easy install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Relay-Harness-Automatic-On-Off-Control-SubaruScion-/151292673091?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2339befc43&vxp=mtr

Dan

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just got back from a trip to the Grand Canyon. I gave my air ride system a pretty good work out in off road situations and towing my SXS home 600 miles. It was good to have the off road 2 options as I was in some rocky terrain. It was weird to get out when parked on a slight incline and after a minute or so the truck would try to level itself by raising the back end. One time it even let off a big blast of air like a air brake on a semi. I thought man I have lost a air bag or seal. But it worked fine the rest of the day with no side effects. On the first leg of the trip home towing a trailer and a Honda SXS I used the tow haul mode and noticed that it did not go into aero mod. It also only got 8 mpg. The next 2 legs of the trip I ran without engaging tow haul and the mileage went up 2 to 3 more mpg.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Dpinvidic, yes that would simplify install. I bought the optional 5 pin replay from retroshop.us that allows switching from the accessory power when ignition turns on. It has optional extra wire to allow power from another circuit like parking lights, to turn off the lights. The problem is that there is no dim function. I'd like to have on all the time, but dim while driving. I wil now put the morimoto LED in the back as backup lights and just bought Philips DRL:
Philips LED DayLight 8 - Model Number: 12824WLEDX1. This has same simple battery hookup like your option, but offers a dimming option.