2014 Ram 1500 Air Suspension Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
If you think you want the truck, I'd go there in person, and tell them they have until Friday to have 100% corrected the issue, or to unwind the deal at no penalty to you.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
If they don't fix soon, the. Walk from the truck. But get another with air suspension. Alternatively, ask for a free extended warranty and enjoy he truck. Probably just software. There has been several software updates recently, so maybe just need to get that processed.

khav

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Limited 4x4 CC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dealer called me and said they figured out the problem - they had an incorrect "part" in the truck that wasn't intended for this type of truck. When they put the correct "part" on, it worked. Haven't got any detail on exactly what "part" this was.

They brought the truck to me at work yesterday, we played with it for awhile, and I took possession. Happy to have it - hope it holds up! I did get an extended warranty to 7 year, 70k.

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
That's tr same warranty I'm looking at. Want 3 more years if cov.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two I've testdrove didn't alternate, they went up from park mode first at the rear and then the front to keep the headlights from shining too far forward and up. If you went through multiple heights it alternated but that was because it went, for example from park, to normal to off road 1, and would stop at each level. It was annoying though that it would cancel lowering if a door opened and would not lower with the key fob.

That is what I meant by "alternate". IMO I think it is good not to lower with a door open. All you need is to park next to a high curb and have the passenger open the door when the truck is lowering and the door hits the curb.
This happens more with a car, but could happen with your truck.

Dan

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
This is all good info but can you add this to a non air ride truck. I have a 2014 Lone Star V6 with the luxery package. I am disabled and need the lower stance to get in. thank you for helping.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is all good info but can you add this to a non air ride truck. I have a 2014 Lone Star V6 with the luxery package. I am disabled and need the lower stance to get in. thank you for helping.

It is about a $1500 option when you order the truck. So this is the difference in the cost of parts. Like exchanging a regular shock for a air suspension shock, AND this does not include labor during a normal build.. It would probably be better to sell your current truck since it is so new, and buy a new truck compared to the total cost of converting. The air suspension shocks are about $800 each, then there are two air tanks, the controller, and all of the labor. Plus the buttons are built into the dash.

It would only drop the tuck another 2 inches for entry/exit mode.

Do you have the side rail steps?? they are a big help in getting into the truck.

Dan

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
When you have a spinal injusry, you can't put your weight on one leg with running boards. You put your butt on the seat and spin in. I am looking to trade it in but the dealer said the incentives on the new ones are so good, it would cost big money to trade.

jc55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
After having my truck for about a week and putting 600 miles on it, I can tell you that I LOVE the air suspension. It is pretty fantastic. I love aero mode on the highway, and I am getting into the habit of when I'm going to park, hitting into entry/exit mode so its finished lowering by the time I put it in P.

Going from entry/exit to Off Road 2 can get you a little sea-sick, though ;)

John_GreySport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension issues addressed?

I have seen several comments about the 1500 air suspension failing. Those were mainly on the 2013 models and a few on the 2014 ones though. Does anyone have any info on what Ram has done for the newer models, if anything?

I just ordered a Sport with the air suspension to be ready when I get home from my current deployment. I am starting to have buyers remorse a bit for going with the air suspension.

My glimmer or hope is that most of the complaints are from up north where it gets really cold and stays that way. I am stationed in Kansas, so I am hoping that our shorter winters will not effect the suspension.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm at 6000 miles and 6 months through the cold of winter here and have had zero issues. It wasn't a must have option, but was on the truck I wanted and am glad I have it. Makes loading and unloading everything easier. From dirt bikes to kids in the back seat to hooking up a trailer. You'll like it. Just get a warranty if you're worried.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2013 ram with air suspension and live in a northern state and have had no problems at all with mine.

BLKSHP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been down to -5 here and no issues. Always keeping an eye out for the service message.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nine months with no air suspense problems.

I have a 2 wheel drive truck and never go off road, but I wanted to be able to lower the truck to make it easier for myself and wifey to get in and out.

Entry/Exit level picture:
i-H9W9Fs9-L.jpg
You can see here that at Entry/Exit the truck is easy to get in and out of and I like the looks of it with the wheel openings nicely filled by the tires.

The standard height of the 2 wheel drive is higher than my previous Chev truck and about the same as the 4 wheel drive on these Ram trucks. I like having a nice truck but I did not want to spend the next several years climbing up into a high truck. Another thing I like about the air suspension is that I can raise it to Off Road 2 if I have to park in lots and most other vehicle doors will hit the side steps if opened carelessly and not bang my paint job. Another benefit is to be able to get into low parking garages. I recently stayed at Harrah's in Reno and the parking garage has a height limit of 6' 6" so I took the truck down to Entry/Exit height and 6' 3" to the top of the shark fin, so was able to get in and out of that garage with no issue.

As mentioned by others it is very convenient to lower the truck to load stuff into the back and also to be able to raise it to get under it easily for oil changes at home. I'm not too sure I totally trust the air suspension to not go down while I am working under there so I put in a jack stand or blocks to be sure I don't get hurt.:eek:

guido

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Having problems with my 2014 bighorn air suspension system. Been at dealer 4 times in the past month for same issue. They replaced compressor and recalibrated the system, but the truck is not riding at same heights as before. At exit/entrance the front end sits at 37” . Normal ride hieght sits at 39”. Or1 is 40 and or2 is 41.5. They said there is nothing else they can do. Anyone else experience this before. Or could direct me in the right direction to solve problem.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah, I'm interested to see how it holds up.

If you look up the history of them, it's a little scary. lol
It's a great idea though, my wife complains every time she gets in the truck...Since it sits so high..haha

Hate to be one to say I told you so, but air ride systems have always had problems in other cars. I don't think RAM has come out with anything new with these systems.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The old systems suffered from corrosion and became problematic. FCA improved on the concept by using a closed system filled with highly pure nitrogen. So if they don't leak, they don't corrode.

The issues most here seem to have can be traced to a leak and overworking compressor. If they leak, outside air is drawn in to make up and moisture gets introduced leading to one problem or another. Also the compressor is a light weight low duty cycle type that won't take much abuse. There have also been some split airbags reported on higher mileage vehicles.

guido

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Update on my 2014 ram bighorn. Today went back to dealer to meet with engineer from Chrysler. He check out a few measurements and agreed the truck is sitting to high. He then called a couple engineers in Detroit and found that dealer was not using the proper procedure to calibrate the levels on my truck. Bottom line after 5 visits to the dealer and being told that I am crazy. My truck is now fixed. Also got a complete detail inside and out on the dealer.