2014 Ram 5.7 Hemi coolant total drain and fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, Newbie here needs advise from you all. Trying to flush out old coolant but opening petcock only gave out 4qts. I thought the coolant capacity is 16qts. Am I missing something here? I do not mind wasting bunch of distilled water by draining 1 gallon at a time but when you add new coolant how can you add right amount since you cannot take out anymore than 1/4 of capacity. Would appreciate all your help on this.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
since the coolant is being removed, replace the thermostat with an OEM one and back flush the heater core. You can use compressed air to blow the coolant out. You'll also want consider using one of the cooling system filling tools, it pulls the cooling system into a vacuum then sucks the coolant in. Less likely having to deal with purging air from the system.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a quagmire, once systems get old it pays to just empty and fill with pre mix every year, keeps it a bit fresh. If you ever have any signs of rust or slime, rmi 25 is the simple answer. I do this every summer, my passenger side coolant bolt is stripped and the drivers side is near impossible to get to.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for prompt reply crash68! It is a little more involved than I would like but I will give it a try. I would appreciate your input on any website or article for this procedure to do it properly since I am no spring chicken anymore I need all the help I can get. BTW would 180 T-stat help with daily driving in AZ or keep OEM 203? I do not have any tuner or plan to get one. Thanks again, friend.

OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla. No, I used my truck lightly - only has 60000 miles after 10 yrs. The coolant is like new but had to change since it is 10 years old. I hear you, man. That is why I am trying not to touch anything other than what is absolutely necessary.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's a block drain on each of the block,the pass side one is easy to get at,the drivers side is a bit of pain to remove,but if you pull those 2 plugs,you'll get alot more out of the engine. There's probably close to a gallon of coolant in the engine that won't drain if you don't pull the block drains.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BenHogan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you wild one. As long as I can get at least half of distilled water mixture out and do proper flush, I can add right amount of new coolant. I am no expert like you guys but just a guy who tries to keep the truck the best shape possible without spending ton of money.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you wild one. As long as I can get at least half of distilled water mixture out and do proper flush, I can add right amount of new coolant. I am no expert like you guys but just a guy who tries to keep the truck the best shape possible without spending ton of money.
If you try to remove the pass side block drain,it takes a 14mm socket or wrench,and have a good sized bucket somewhat under it,as it'll pour out faster then you think,lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat