2014 Ram Sport 2WD - Making noise from front end. Wheel bearings / hub assembly???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A short time ago I heard a metallic rubbing noise coming from my front end. I was thinking, "150K miles - Second brake job time". So I pulled off the wheels to check. Pads actually looked like they had about half life left in them, but my rotors were just a hair over minimum spec, so I figured what the heck, and just did a whole brake job. I went with the New PowerStop Ceramic Kit with the Drilled / Slotted rotors. As I was changing them, I noticed the front wheel hubs made a bit of a sound when I turned them, but not bad. They had no play in them when we checked them.
I did, however (after that first check for noise) tap each of the flat spots between the wheel bolts on the old rotor with a hammer to break the rusty seal between the rotor and the hub assembly. Now I'm wondering if I "broke lose" some rust in the hub assembly.... because:

The whole day today, my truck got louder and louder. The low volume metallic rubbing noise that I previously thought was my front brakes needing replacing is now joined by a louder kinda grinding, whirring sound. Like rusty ball bearings or rusty gears turning. The noise slightly changes pitch when I turn the front wheels. When I "wiggle" the front wheels a bit by shaking the steering wheel while driving, the noise definitely changes pitch. The noise also gets louder when I'm going steep downhill, and less loud when I'm going uphill.

I'm betting I need new front wheel bearings / brake hub assembly (150K miles), but I was wrong before when I thought it was only the front brakes. Any other thoughts of what it could be? Or do you think I'm on the right track?

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wheel hub(s) are done, change them. The change in pitch/sound is the give away.

When you turn left and the noise gets quietter its the left hub, turn right its the right. Turn left and it gets noisier/louder its the right, turn right and gets louder its the left.

OP
OP
cajuntec

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Verified - passenger side is the culprit. I’m going to replace them both at the same time anyway, but at least I’ve verified where the noise is coming from! I was going to post a video, but it seems like pictures are the only attachments allowed.