2015 1500 wheels - stock. Plastic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottH

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Dear Forum Members,

This weekend I had a look at some 2015's on the lot (Sunday - so I wasn't hassled by the Sales crew). The wheels on SLT's, Big Horn's and Laramie's looked and sounded like plastic "covers" overlying a steel wheel underneath. Putting your hand behind the wheel (Laramie in this case) seemed to reveal a "wheel behind a wheel" suggesting the aforementioned wheel cover.

The only wheels that seemed as if they were not plastic covers were the 20" on the Laramie Limited and the Sport.

Note: There were no Laramie Longhorn's or Outdoorsman there - so couldn't check them.

Am I mistaken, or does the $ 50k Laramie in fact have wheels that are not "real". Is this what Aluminum Chrome Clad refers to? Honestly, whatever it is called, or made of, it was a huge turnoff.

ScottH

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, that's what the chrome clad means. It's aluminum wheels with plastic chrome caps

OP
OP
S

ScottH

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Thanks GreenClassic. Wow RAM should be ashamed of themselves! Plastic wheel covers on a $ 50k truck, operative word here being TRUCK!!! That combined with the rotary shifter have me questioning whether I want a RAM. Love the interior. Love the ride, love the HEMI but a $ 50k should have real wheels, not plastic covers.

ScottH

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You're probably going to find that across the big 3... you're right, it's sad but its also pretty much the norm. Consider a Sport or a rim swap?

Ill agree as well the rotary shifter is weak, especially in a truck. But it wouldn't turn me off a whole truck. I've grown to get used to it.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it sucks. But your going to run into that in nearly all vehicles now a days.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's 2 things about the Laramie I don't like. The wheels (I would want to swap from a Sport) and the chrome ring on the tail lights (would also want to swap from a Sport).

And the chrome clads are on the Express, Big Horn, and Laramie. The Longhorn and Limited have aluminum wheels with no cladding.

srtpowa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 w/ 6 speed
Thanks GreenClassic. Wow RAM should be ashamed of themselves! Plastic wheel covers on a $ 50k truck, operative word here being TRUCK!!! That combined with the rotary shifter have me questioning whether I want a RAM. Love the interior. Love the ride, love the HEMI but a $ 50k should have real wheels, not plastic covers.

ScottH

While I agree with you 100%
I would like to point out that manufacturers have been having problems with chromed aluminum wheels bubbling and flaking for quite some time now, and causing tires to leak. I've run into this on several of my fleet cars. the idea is they want the weight savings of aluminum with the "bling" of chrome.
If the wheels are that big of a deal breaker tell the dealership that in order to close the deal you need to swap wheels from another truck... Happens all the time. :naughty::favorites13:

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So a dealer will swap wheels from a Sport to a Laramie? Because I would love that.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
So a dealer will swap wheels from a Sport to a Laramie? Because I would love that.

Doubt it unless you pay them for them.

Can't just go around swapping wheels. Your better off finding some used ones and selling yours.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dear Forum Members,

This weekend I had a look at some 2015's on the lot (Sunday - so I wasn't hassled by the Sales crew). The wheels on SLT's, Big Horn's and Laramie's looked and sounded like plastic "covers" overlying a steel wheel underneath. Putting your hand behind the wheel (Laramie in this case) seemed to reveal a "wheel behind a wheel" suggesting the aforementioned wheel cover.

The only wheels that seemed as if they were not plastic covers were the 20" on the Laramie Limited and the Sport.

Note: There were no Laramie Longhorn's or Outdoorsman there - so couldn't check them.

Am I mistaken, or does the $ 50k Laramie in fact have wheels that are not "real". Is this what Aluminum Chrome Clad refers to? Honestly, whatever it is called, or made of, it was a huge turnoff.

ScottH

I have seen the chrome clad wheels on my dad's Ford last for 16 years without a spec of rust, I have also seen the actual chrome aluminum rims last for one year before rusting. The point is, chrome clad wheels will last longer than an actual chrome aluminum rim.

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:rockit: I have some Sport wheels for sale .. just sayin ..

Let me know if you're interested and I'll fix you up. they're like new, low mile takeoffs in the for sale section.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I have seen the chrome clad wheels on my dad's Ford last for 16 years without a spec of rust, I have also seen the actual chrome aluminum rims last for one year before rusting. The point is, chrome clad wheels will last longer than an actual chrome aluminum rim.

But they sure look ugly when they get a gash in them..lol Like my stockers..

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
But they sure look ugly when they get a gash in them..lol Like my stockers..

Well stay away from curbs and people who throw rocks and that won't happen! I know what you mean though, I bought a new Ford fusion and within a week had damaged a wheel cover in a taco bell drive through...

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with you... I can't stand the plastic covers they use now. Luckily, the truck I found came with the sport wheels. They are much better, in my opinion, looks wise & durability. If you decide on a particular truck, work a wheel swap in to the deal after you negotiate a price... shouldn't be too big of a problem. The discussion came up with my dealer and they said they do it all the time. Even said they had a huge shipment of trucks that came in with the sport wheels already installed on trucks that normally don't come with them.

As for the rotary shifter, it takes some getting used to, but that doesn't take away from it being a truck. I don't even think about mine at this point and we've had the truck for 3 months. It's always a great conversation starter.

OldGrump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd have to agree on the wheels... I'm not a fan of "clad" anything, so it was probably the biggest disappointment when I made my purchase. Eventually I'll get around to replacing them with something else (probably takeoffs from a Sport).

On the bright side they do clean up very easily :rolleyes: The 10-spoke wheels on my other vehicle take a good part of an hour to clean every time I wash the darn thing.

As for the rotary shifter, I just don't get what the fuss is about. This is the first automatic transmission vehicle I've ever purchased, so I've spent my entire life rowing gears... and can't for the life of me understand why you would need a stick to operate an automatic.

On the other hand, I can't understand why they would make a rotary dial that is "easy to operate with gloves on", and then put tiny shift up/down buttons on the wheel. Paddle shifters have been around for a ages and are the logical choice here...

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is not anything new by a long shot...I saw this back in 2007 when I was working at a Ford dealership and they were doing chrome clads on the Escapes and Edges at the time.

ou812

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The plastic wheels weren't for me either. I liked the ones much better on the Express I bought.

dfcd31e9-a4f2-426d-abdb-059cc7a0298c_zpsur2paiix.jpg

coolidge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don't know but my Big Horn came from the factory with the forged polished aluminum Sport wheels, its an option you can order. I think the upgrade was only $150 or something. Here it is with the new Toyo Open Country II's

toyo4.jpg

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^ My big horn came with the same wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441