2015 6.4 Hemi valve train is smoked and getting a new motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys and gals, I’m new here, but active on other forums. I own a few trucks, but I’m posting about my 2015 2500 w/ 6.4 at 98,000 miles on it. From the day I got it it had a tick, but that tick made a screech the other day and then went away. Fast forward a few hundred miles and my truck is dead! The motor sounded like it was full of broken metal parts. Lol! I did a little research and found out that it’s kind of a common problem. I did see others had the same issue with check engine code for a misfire on cylinder 6. I figured it was bad gas and to be safe installed a new coil pack. What should I expect them to find? Will I get a new motor or will they rebuild? Anything I should ask them to do? Thank goodness I’m still in warranty! The trucks up in NY at Drivers Village Dodge. Thanks for any input and happy holidays!!

Hugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just curious, does a 2015 have the 100,000 mile drive train warranty? Sure would be nice if FCA covers the repair?

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, I have the 100k warranty! I’m reading more and more on the issue with these 6.4 hemis and I’m wondering if it’s replaced with OEM parts will it fail again? Any input on aftermarket lifters?
It also seems like the mds equipped motors are more prone to the failures, but I’m not 100% sure about that yet. Still investigating things!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m reading more and more on the issue with these 6.4 hemis

I always wonder about these failures because at the same time we read about failures we're also reading a ton of posts about people installing tuners, disabling mds, running pedal commanders, second guessing the manufacturer's recommendation on oil type... but how many people are going to come in here and admit that maybe the failure resulted from them going off script in the first place?

Maybe there's no correlation at all. I mostly just question how many people would be willing to admit it if there was a correlation.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve done nothing other than a K&N air filter and a SS exhaust (forget the brand, but it was a good one) to this truck. I change the oil every 4K miles and I use good syn oil. I never beat on the truck and always maintain it very well! It was the 1st brand new truck I ever bought. I now have a 2019 Duramax Highcountry with all the Banks stuff in it, but again I don’t beat on any of my equipment and maintain everything very well!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I probably should have added I didn't mean the above comment specifically about you Hugh Kerrigan - rather, it's hard to tell if the trouble you're having is part of a trend or if you got there by unique bad luck because it's human nature to avoid wearing blame even if it fits.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you weren’t directing that question at me. I just wanted to say that I would admit if I had mods on the dodge like I do the Chevy.

Diseased

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always wonder about these failures because at the same time we read about failures we're also reading a ton of posts about people installing tuners, disabling mds, running pedal commanders, second guessing the manufacturer's recommendation on oil type... but how many people are going to come in here and admit that maybe the failure resulted from them going off script in the first place?

Maybe there's no correlation at all. I mostly just question how many people would be willing to admit it if there was a correlation.
Super curious about this as well.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good to hear, shame you have to be without the vehicle for a short time but it's good that even near the end of the warranty period they're making it right.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Hey guys and gals, I’m new here, but active on other forums. I own a few trucks, but I’m posting about my 2015 2500 w/ 6.4 at 98,000 miles on it. From the day I got it it had a tick, but that tick made a screech the other day and then went away. Fast forward a few hundred miles and my truck is dead! The motor sounded like it was full of broken metal parts. Lol! I did a little research and found out that it’s kind of a common problem. I did see others had the same issue with check engine code for a misfire on cylinder 6. I figured it was bad gas and to be safe installed a new coil pack. What should I expect them to find? Will I get a new motor or will they rebuild? Anything I should ask them to do? Thank goodness I’m still in warranty! The trucks up in NY at Drivers Village Dodge. Thanks for any input and happy holidays!!

Hugh

Hi Hugh, Someone on this forum posted the video (link below) about hemi valvetrains. I don't remember who did it, but I thank him/her, and it should show you what may have happened to your motor. If the link doesn't work, look on youtube for gearheads and hemi valvetrains.

I just saw you're getting a new motor for free (other than all the aggravation), YAY!

BTW: This problem isn't new, I had '68 327 Chevy with flat cam. Same indication, pulled rocker cover and saw a rocker not rockin'.

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

If anyone should be admitting fault it should be Ram, this falls squarely on their shoulders. Why can't people look past brand loyalty and acknowledge FCA has a serious QC issue with the "Hemi" power plant?

I love everything else about my Ram, best looking truck on the road imho. Sadly, I wouldn't dare drive it beyond the powertrain warranty.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone should be admitting fault it should be Ram, this falls squarely on their shoulders..

I don't really have loyalty to the brand, my Ram was a grudge purchase to get me out of a lemon Jeep without eating too much dookie on the trade in. I know they're willing to ship faulty products from that experience.

If Ram built a bad motor that's on them, but if they program the ecu a certain way and write 5w20 API type S in the manual and then some owner puts a random tune in it and runs 40w API type C oil in it and changes the heat and stress and combustion quality and lubricant behavior how is that the manufacturer's fault when that affects the longevity of the machine?

And we won't even know if there is a correlation because most people won't fess up if they did have some involvement.

Last edited:

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't really have loyalty to the brand, my Ram was a grudge purchase to get me out of a lemon Jeep without eating too much dookie on the trade in. I know they're willing to ship faulty products from that experience.

If Ram built a bad motor that's on them, but if they program the ecu a certain way and write 5w20 API type S in the manual and then some owner puts a random tune in it and runs 40w API type C oil in it and changes the heat and stress and combustion quality and lubricant behavior how is that the manufacturer's fault when that affects the longevity of the machine?

And we won't even know if there is a correlation because most people won't fess up if they did have some involvement.
What i do know is my buddies brand new 16 1500 has plenty of start up clatter and he has his oil changed at the dealer. My 16 6.4 also has plenty of start up clatter also. It forced me to use different oil to fend against it. Same weight but different manu.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If we can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we would be happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's good to hear, shame you have to be without the vehicle for a short time but it's good that even near the end of the warranty period they're making it right.

I have a 2019 Duramax High Counrty, so I’m fine, but all my tools are in the dodge and that’s a pain.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"New motor"--long block or short block? Did you go look at the old engine and the internal parts to see what the problem was?
Jay

Long block. No, I broke down 300 miles from home. Thank goodness I was there with my other truck and could get the guys and trailer home.

OP
OP
H

Hugh Kerrigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Hugh,

I do apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. Please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings. If we can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we would be happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

Thank you Mark! So far so good! The dealer (Drivers Village) in NY has been great! Broke down Sat night, had it towed and they called Mon morning 10:15 am and said I’m getting a new motor. The only thing I didn’t like was the charge to pull the plow frame. It’s a Boss push plate and 6 bolts hold it on. $450 seems a bit hi to remove it. I’ll talk with them about it when I go get the truck. I agreed to pay for new plugs and a belt. I also asked and will gladly pay for tranny flush.