2015 Ram 1500 5.7L-Whining noise when I back up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam P Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hi, I just purchased my 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn about a month ago. I haven't had a truck this new in 20 years and I love everything about it. However, I can't stop thinking about the noise my truck makes when I back up. It only happens when the truck is moving in reverse. Its a subtle "whining"noise that seems to be coming from the mid to rear of the truck. The faster I back up the less pronounced the noise gets. I assumed it was the rear end gears winding up. I only ask because a friend rode in my truck for the first time and he described the noise sounds like a ambulance siren in the distance.

Last edited:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 2014 does the same. I've been told it's normal by a number of folks I trust. Something to do with how the gears are cut.

-K

Dark Knight 500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The reverse gear on ALL automatic transmissions do this, nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thanks for this post. My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic does it and I was stressing. I read alot of stuff about every automatic does it but it isnt until I read other Ram owners that I agree it is normal. I mean, every vehicle I have had does it, but when my new Ram did it I thought I would research it, yep, they all do. So cool! Thank you guys again for saving me some time and worry. I appreciate it.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I know no two trucks are the same, each has their own stuff you have to get use to, but its been over 10 years since I bought a new truck so its me having to get use to the truck, not the other way around. Thanks Again!

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They use a planetary gear carrier for reverse,that's where the whine comes from.