2015 Ram keeps stalling U codes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AriesKcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got this 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 keeps shutting down on a guy. 1st time temp spiked to full hot (dont think it was overheating),abs trac lights came on shut down and wouldn't start or even crank. Towed it back cleared codes and everything was fine for a few days.

Codes
U0100
U11BC
P1C4E
U0140
U1120
U1110
U110C

And these have been there for years
P0441 P0456

No smoking,leaks,coolant low etc.

Today dash went crazy again died on highway wouldn't start. Reset battery terminal fired right up.

Any ideas? Abs module? Wiring?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That, or the TIPM connectors are corroded (not uncommon depending on location). There have been a couple forum members who's TIPM connector had many almost-completely corroded connector pins.

Make sure all the grounds and battery cable connections to battery/engine/body are good. The TIPM and gauge cluster spas-out when the juice gets low. Seen it myself. Also, there's a major ground above the driver's front tire (above the plastic fender liner), at least on 1500's, which can corrode like no tomorrow, if you live in the snow/rain/salt zone. That's right by the TIPM so I would check that for sure. And one back by the fuel tank filler (or somewhere in that zone). Those two major grounds can get real crusty. Grounds are real important as that's your electrical path to/from. May re-seat the fuses in the fuse box too just to make sure there isn't corrosion or dirt on one of the pins.

OP
OP
A

AriesKcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Died again codes
U1110
U1120
U0140
P1C4E
U11BC

Cleared codes shook every wire poked abs module fuses were tight. Driving now no codes came back yet.

Should I parts cannon the Tipm or abs module?

Clean grounds?
Anyone have a pic of where they are?

Had a similar issue on a 2016 Jeep Patriot tons of codes and it was a corroded C100ground

I found these 3 grounds bottom one looks like it will snap off if I try to remove the nut so gonna let it soak for now then sand it down.
20230125_115010.jpg
20230125_115018.jpg
20230125_115655.jpg
I lifted the Tipm shook it underneath and still no codes stalling etc.
20230125_115956.jpg

Side note this smaller fuse box has had no lid for 3 years
20230125_120313.jpg

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are loosing communication to multiple control modules and sensors at the same time. Get a wiring diagram, find which modules and sensors you are loosing based on each of the codes, and see what power or ground they have in common. Check those circuits for anything loose or corroded. Probably not a bad idea to pull off all of the grounds and clean them up. I would also look closely for any green fuzzies growing in the fuse box or TIPM area, especially after saying that one has not been covered for years. Yes, the TIPM is a regular issue but should at least check the basics before bringing out the parts cannon. I wouldn't expect the ABS module to be the issue since it's shutting down the entire truck and getting codes for multiple models, but there is a chance it could be drawing down enough power to do this.

OP
OP
A

AriesKcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are loosing communication to multiple control modules and sensors at the same time. Get a wiring diagram, find which modules and sensors you are loosing based on each of the codes, and see what power or ground they have in common. Check those circuits for anything loose or corroded. Probably not a bad idea to pull off all of the grounds and clean them up. I would also look closely for any green fuzzies growing in the fuse box or TIPM area, especially after saying that one has not been covered for years. Yes, the TIPM is a regular issue but should at least check the basics before bringing out the parts cannon. I wouldn't expect the ABS module to be the issue since it's shutting down the entire truck and getting codes for multiple models, but there is a chance it could be drawing down enough power to do this.
Those 5 codes were for 2 wheel sensors and the brake pedal switch no signal to abs computer and no communication to main ecm and body computer.

Current theory is the abs block is bad and the module is trying to run it overheats and system dies. The block is backordered called dealer so must be a common issue

Screenshot_20230125-191922_Opera.jpg

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the first set of codes you listed were not all related to the ABS module, which makes be suspicious of something other than just the ABS module. Not unusual for an intermittent issue, like a loss of CAN BUS message, to trigger different random codes and sometimes only on certain modules and other times on other modules.
But as I stated above it could be the ABS module itself causing the issues, but I wouldn't bet that 100% with the information provided.

OP
OP
A

AriesKcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the first set of codes you listed were not all related to the ABS module, which makes be suspicious of something other than just the ABS module. Not unusual for an intermittent issue, like a loss of CAN BUS message, to trigger different random codes and sometimes only on certain modules and other times on other modules.
But as I stated above it could be the ABS module itself causing the issues, but I wouldn't bet that 100% with the information provided.
It only seems to happen after a couple days and only going highway speed other than that it runs perfect and I shook everything and there's no reaction No codes

If I had one of those $2000 scan tools I could probably cycle the ABS using it and then see if it's an issue?

These intermittent electrical problems are literally the hardest things to solve.

I do know someone with a blue driver that reads all the modules maybe I can try that?

Should I remove/check the tipm and scrub all grounds?

It does have a aftermarket sander and plow wired in a few weeks ago.

The motor blew year ago replaced with a used 2019 19k motor and the guy who did the swap couldn't get it running. I found a cam sensor code swapped it and the connector (guy used bad crimps on the plug I just twisted the wires then shrink tube) ran fine after that.

Also in 2016 it wouldn't move. The pedal wasn't working dealer fixed it.

Seems to love electrical problems....

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intermittent electrical problems are definitely a pain! The more details about the truck you provide the more I would suspect a bad wire, connection, or ground.
- Plow truck so subject to a lot of corrosion...but you do say that stuff was only installed a few weeks ago? If anything it sounds likely the truck has lived in the salt belt....
- Engine was swapped, and by someone that sounds suspicious if they couldn't get it running because of a shoddy wiring job.....if the wiring in one place was shoddy then likely there are issues elsewhere.

Yes, I would recommend doing a full inspection of the TIPM to look for any green fuzzies growing on it and do the grounds. I just never suggest unloading the parts cannon on before at least doing the basics that don't require buying expensive parts only to find out they didn't fix the issue. Though I do admit that unless you have a bunch of expensive equipment and knowledge sometimes it's get down to the that point, but at least you can narrow it down versus blinding just replacing parts (I've replaced the wrong parts before, so not claiming to be perfect by any means.....at some point in time you reach the limits of how deep you can get in the diagnosis).

OP
OP
A

AriesKcar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intermittent electrical problems are definitely a pain! The more details about the truck you provide the more I would suspect a bad wire, connection, or ground.
- Plow truck so subject to a lot of corrosion...but you do say that stuff was only installed a few weeks ago? If anything it sounds likely the truck has lived in the salt belt....
- Engine was swapped, and by someone that sounds suspicious if they couldn't get it running because of a shoddy wiring job.....if the wiring in one place was shoddy then likely there are issues elsewhere.

Yes, I would recommend doing a full inspection of the TIPM to look for any green fuzzies growing on it and do the grounds. I just never suggest unloading the parts cannon on before at least doing the basics that don't require buying expensive parts only to find out they didn't fix the issue. Though I do admit that unless you have a bunch of expensive equipment and knowledge sometimes it's get down to the that point, but at least you can narrow it down versus blinding just replacing parts (I've replaced the wrong parts before, so not claiming to be perfect by any means.....at some point in time you reach the limits of how deep you can get in the diagnosis).
The truck has been fine for about a month and today it did it again stalled out gauges went crazy codes everywhere. Reset battery got it to restart eventually.

It was the 1st day there actually was any snow so I'm thinking what's going on is whenever the ABS system tries to activate the module goes crazy and shorts out the truck. All the codes seem to relate to the ABS module losing connection to the other system modules and them shutting down.