Trashed 2015 5.7 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blasphemoubastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a question that maybe someone can help me with... A friend of mine has a 2015 dodge ram 5.7 Hemi and called me broke down on the side of the road and told me the motor was blown. 200k miles. Has 7 codes showing but they seem to be all over the place...
U1120
u11bc
U1110
P0197
P0441
P0456
P0457
Has anyone happened to run across this? Should I tear it down? or... is there something else I should be looking at first, such as PCM? Thank you for any input on my situation!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You might want to do some troubleshooting before saying the engine is blown, most of those codes revolve around the fuel system vapor control. The U codes are loss of comm to various modules, you might be thinking up the right patch thinking the ECM crapped out.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Assuming the engine won't run, how does it sound when the starter is spinning it over?

Lee Peterson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
P0197 is oil temp sensor above oil filter. The other P-codes are evap related. The Ucodes are all lost communication Speed sensor. I would check the wiring at the PCM and under the TIPM. What does the truck do when trying to start? Does the fuel pump prime? Does it crank? Check ground wires. Is the battery still good?

OP
OP
B

Blasphemoubastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Battery is dead... Haven't had a chance to start diagnosing it, but figured it wouldn't hurt getting a second opinion from someone who is more knowledgeable about Dodges than I am... I will get to checking it out in the next day or two, and thank you all for your replies and affirming my thoughts of possibly other issues.. I will check back with updates as soon as I get a chance to check compression and stuff! Thanks again!

OP
OP
B

Blasphemoubastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well... Plans might have changed for the truck... How much do you think a 2015 dodge ram 4 Dr Hemi with a possible blown motor would go for? He is interested in selling because he got a new truck and wants to sell it to me ... But I need a price to throw at him before I spend time troubleshooting it... And HE told ME the motor is blown... So lets say the motor is trashed.... What would it be worth? And obviously I would like to have a Hemi to sit next to my Cummins and I can just expect to spend money on a new motor and hopefully it turns out to be something easy and I get a great deal on it! Soo... What do you think is a fair price for a clean 2015 Ram 1500 4 dr with a blown motor? (Grill and headlights were taken out to be able to use the tow-bar) Lol. Thanks for the help!0511220649.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What do you think is a fair price for a clean 2015 Ram 1500 4 dr with a blown motor?
Look what the Kelly Blue Book states for a wholesale price at the condition of the vehicle and minus what a good long block or crate engine will cost to have installed. Google what that year/model truck goes for in the area and subtract for the motor replacement.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemoubastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems like it goes for about 20k running and driving and I can get a rebuild kit for 1000 and a rebuilt motor for 4500... So, I guess the 3000 he's asking seems fair... Does that seem correct?!? 20K seems a little high for a 7 year old truck. Lol

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I recently sold a 2010 1500 with the 5.7 and 180k miles for $10,500, probably could have got a little more but I sold it to a friend so I gave him a deal on it. $3k sounds a tad low even with a possible blown motor but if you can get it for that price I'd jump on it.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemoubastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He's been my best friend since 3rd grade... So, over 30 years. He better give me a good deal on it!! but, I've never paid that much for a truck that didn't run in my life! I usually get great used cars that end up having a sensor out or something people can't figure out easily for $3-600! Like my current daily driver... 97 grand prix gtp with 120k miles on it.. Paid 600 then tracked down a wiring issue and it runs perfect. Lol Anyways... Thank you for the input... Guess I'm going to have to sell a project and buy this one! probably throw my turbo on it!!