2015 shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evan Legath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all I'm new here and hoping someone can help me. I have a 2015 ram 1500 with around 115k miles and I'm having serious shifting issues. Earlier this year I noticed when I would leave work my truck would shift really hard to where the truck would stutter and jerk as it shifted from 3rd to 4th but it wouldn't do this all the time. Now it's getting worse. Sometimes when it goes to 4th it'll stay in that gear unless I pull over kill the truck and recrank it and it shifts fine, and it still does not act up all the time, I can leave for work and it shift fine but when I stop it'll shift hard in the low gears like it's slipping but it'll get better as I go on driving. Then the other day I noticed when I would put it in reverse it wouldn't move like it was missing seeing me put it in reverse but again it doesn't do this all the time but when I do get it in reverse it acts like it shifts to reverse really hard like I'm trying to burnout backing up. When it does shift right it shifts just as good as the day I rolled off the lot with it. Any ideas?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the 6spd or the 8spd automatic? Have you ever had it serviced? Have you checked the fluid level? Got to have the basics to offer an opinion.

OP
OP
E

Evan Legath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the 8 spd, I tried to get it serviced a few months ago and the people at the place I went wouldn't touch the tranny saying since it didn't have a dipstick to check level he couldn't do anything with it. Sry I'm a bit ignorent when it comes to working on a truck lol

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
It's the 8 spd, I tried to get it serviced a few months ago and the people at the place I went wouldn't touch the tranny saying since it didn't have a dipstick to check level he couldn't do anything with it. Sry I'm a bit ignorent when it comes to working on a truck lol
115k on the original fluid is really Really bad news; the lifetime fluid is a joke and unrealistic. FCA definition of lifetime is 100k per a Ram technician. Your only option is to take it in and have the fluid changed.