2016 1500 Replace spare tire with full-size rim/tire and mount under bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulfj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spare that came with my 2016 1500 Laramie has a nail in it that the shop says they can't plug. The spare tire size, annoyingly, is P235/85/17. Not a tire expert, but I cannot find this tire for much less than $500, which is insane! So, I'd rather just replace it with a full-size rim and buy a tire for it. It'll be cheaper and likely better in the long run.

Will a full-size rim and tire fit where my spare goes under the bed? I'd hate to drop the money (~$100 for the rim and then the tire) and have it not fit.

lakingslayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just went to the junk yard and picked up a 20inch 5 spoke rim off of a wrecked RAM. I had a blowout about 20k miles ago which I ended up with a new tire. That tire got put on the replacement rim when I put on a new set of tires. The rim and tire fit nicely where the spare goes. It's only about .75 inches wider in diameter. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

paulfj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, everyone. Stopped at a salvage yard today for a replacement rim (17") and corresponding tire. They mounted it back up underneath my bed. Came to $130+tax. I appreciate the advice.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks, everyone. Stopped at a salvage yard today for a replacement rim (17") and corresponding tire. They mounted it back up underneath my bed. Came to $130+tax. I appreciate the advice.
Glad you got it done. FYI, that 2016 OEM 17" spare is a full-size aluminum rim. I took the temp tire of mine and replaced it with a 285/70-17 D 33" tire