2016 Alpine premium speaker and amplifier upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mreservices

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Laramie 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking for some assistance with questions for a 2016 Alpine premium speaker upgrade. I was originally looking to only replace the dash and front/rear door speakers with Infintiy Reference. But after reading through the forums, everyone seems just so so with that solution due to the factory amps. I have now gone down the rabbit hole and am considering going to a better speaker and adding amps (and maybe change out the sub in the factory enclosure to a Audiomobile EVO 2408 D4 High-Performance 8" and amping that. I have several questions though. I have done a lot of home theater but just can't seem to wrap my head around some of the car audio stuff. As well, the closest stereo shop is an hour away so can't go pick their brains very easly.

How do you power 4 door speakers and 2 in dash tweeters from a 4 channel amp? I am thinking that I must get 6x9 components for the doors and then use the tweeters in the dash.

Do you just abandon the dash center channel or is it still used on the factory amp?

Do you abandon the rear ceiling speakers or is it still used on the factory amp?

I read that the factory speakers are already crossed over. How do I get full range from new ones?

Any wiring harness that is needed?

Anything I am missing?

Speakers considered:
Focal ISU 690
Kicker 47KSS6904
Infinity Reference REF-9630cx

Amps I am considering are:
Kicker 47KEY200.4 for speakers
Kicker 47KEY500.1 for sub

Any recomendation on speakers/amps is greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone for any assistance.

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I could write so much about this topic BUT instead I just copied and pasted what I posted for another member with a similar question some time ago - this was my approach. Please remember this was pasted so if some portion of it doesn't seem to apply that's most likely the reason.

Replaced the factory Alpine HU w/ Pioneer DMH floating screen. Maestro added means no factory functions were lost.
Replaced the front dash speakers with Infinity References.
Replaced the front and rear 6x9s with JBLs - doors were sound deadened at this time as well.
Replaced the ceiling speakers with Massive Audio 2.5"s
Removed the factory sub and replaced it with the JL stealth box.

This is where things get interesting....

The front corners and the four doors are being ran off a AudioControl D6.1200
The subs are being ran off a Kenwood 600w mono thru the AC6.1200. The AC then can control/tune them thru the built in DSP.

I then left the center dash and the ceiling speakers connected to the factory Alpine amp.

For this to happen, I found the correct TYCO plug from Mouser to make a jumper harness so I could maintain the use of the center and ceilings thru the factory amp. Speaker leads were then ran from the AC6.1200 back upfront to where the factory amp is and all were tied into the factory wiring from there with another factory type plug.

Once all was installed and operational; I was able to balance everything first by disconnecting the factory amp speaker plug so I could use the built in DSP in the AC6.1200 to optimize the big six and subs together. Then I re-introduced the factory amp and tuned till it sounded good and blended well at max volume.

This type of install is crazy involved but it's about the only way IMO to really IMPROVE on the factory setup beyond minor gains seen from simply replacing the factory sub with a LOC or pre-amped sub and dash speakers.

BIG sound comes with BIG expense and time

OP
OP
mreservices

mreservices

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Laramie 4WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading that, I am starting to re-think this journey. Any additional input from anyone would be helpful. I may just have to drive the 2 hour round trip to the shop and speak with them.