2016 Cumins Turbo/Actuator failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cumins 6.7
How do we get Mopar or the NHTSA to look into our 2016 Cumins Actuator/Turbo failure since it was the same as the 2015's they are reimbursing and extending warrantee's on? It has 39K miles and the actuator went out when we were traveling across state to a family reunion. We were standed 200 miles away from home and the Ram dealership was 2 months out for a repair. We were able to get an authorized deisel repair shop to get us in and on the road but now I am being told that since a "RAM" dealership did not repair it, we just have to wait and watch to see if they ever check into the 2016. It cost us nearly $6,000 and we got a significant "friends and family" discount. This should not happen to a Cumins with 39K but where do we turn for help.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Don’t worry, there’s plenty of other expensive stuff to break on a Cummins. File a complaint with the NHTSA and cross your fingers. There’s also several 800 numbers in the back of your owners manual that you could try.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
$6K? :oops: We sell just the actuator at work for $1,700.

I replaced my factory turbo with a more powerful and reliable fix geometry S365 and performance manifold for $1,600. Did the install myself and was fairly easy other than lifting the old turbo and manifold out of the engine bay while bolted together. I would love to see an itemized bill on why they charged you that much.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
How do we get Mopar or the NHTSA to look into our 2016 Cumins Actuator/Turbo failure since it was the same as the 2015's they are reimbursing and extending warrantee's on? It has 39K miles and the actuator went out when we were traveling across state to a family reunion. We were standed 200 miles away from home and the Ram dealership was 2 months out for a repair. We were able to get an authorized deisel repair shop to get us in and on the road but now I am being told that since a "RAM" dealership did not repair it, we just have to wait and watch to see if they ever check into the 2016. It cost us nearly $6,000 and we got a significant "friends and family" discount. This should not happen to a Cumins with 39K but where do we turn for help.
You could have bought a city diesel rebuilt turbo with updated actuator for $2750 , somethings off here unless you bought a new OEM turbo & actuator for $6K...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
How do we get Mopar or the NHTSA to look into our 2016 Cumins Actuator/Turbo failure
I don't think the turbo actuator qualifies as a safety-related defect so it is unlikely the NHTSA would get involved.

I don't know why RAM singled out some of the 2015 vehicles and issued an extended warranty on the actuator. I'm one of those who got the extended warranty letter. I had no idea there were issues with the actuator nor do I know what the criteria that was used to single out some of the 2015 vehicles.

There has to be some very interesting talk about this somewhere and likely within RAM.

In the extended letter I received from RAM, there was mention of a website you can use to file a reimbursement claim, the website is; www.fcarecallreimbursement.com. I don't know if this can help you but I hope so. At the end of the warranty letter, RAM took the time to include this;

1695987164076.png

See if you can use this to your advantage.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I had to toss out a guess (from my years in manufacturing), I would imagine that there might have been a batch of these that had a bad component in them. It's likely that the manufacturer identified the lot numbers on the batch of bad ones and also likely that those are tied to specific vin numbers, so they issued the recall to replace the ones in the affected lot number.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
39k miles on a 16? Wow, probably failed because it had cobwebs in it.... Lol (sorry couldn't resist)

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do as the 16 doesn't fall under the 15 warranty extension. You can try reaching out to ramcares but at this point they have not "acknowledged" an issue with any year other then 15 so I don't think it will go very far.

A city diesel actuator for $1k would have been a good fix but I realize you were in a bind. There was no friends and family discount at $6k, they scew ed you.

Halfdane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L turbo diesel
I know this post is separate from the original post but it’s the same issue. I have a 2016 ram 3500 turbodiesel 4x4. It threw the U010C code with MIL. I watched some videos about diagnosing the actuator. When I pulled the actuator connector, I have 12.6VDC at orange, ground continuity at purple, or black (hard to see the color), 2.8VDC at the CANBUS low comm wire, and 1.7VDC at the high comm wire. The 1.7 seems low. What would be the next steps in pursuing the issue? I called a diesel tech friend of mine that I trust, he is recommending a full swap of the turbo system, but I am looking at that as a last resort because of costs. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I get 1 to 2 psi turbo boost when watching the onboard monitor behind the dash.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If the turbo itself is fine and all it needs is the actuator you can buy the kit from City Diesel and install it yourself without needing a dealer calibration. Their unit is a self calibrating actuator. It comes with all of the electronics on board to self calibrate. Looks like they're only $985 right now.

The website also explains how to check the turbo itself to make sure it is not the issue first. Those guys are pretty cool and if you have questions you can call and they'll walk through troubleshooting with you.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Good info in this thread though it probably won't help the OP since he appears to a 1 post wonder. Has not been seen by the forum since the day he posted the request for help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357