Transmission Failure - Denied Warranty Claim - Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I purchased a 2022 2500 diesel for my business, new from the plant. The truck only has 14k miles on it right now. Within the first few months there was a transmission issue, we took it to local dealership, and it was fixed under warranty (after many, many months due to the nationwide part list shortages). Once we got it back, again, within a few months we were having transmission issues. Took it to same dealership and they said that it was throwing a code that said the truck transmission had been "overused" due to towing a load too heavy for the vehicle. I know that we definitely did not ever have the truck/trailer overweight/overcapacity. The dealership then told us we need a new transmission for $15k because Chrysler denied the warranty claim. The dealership was no help. I did call the Chrysler customer advocacy line and was told to take it to a second dealership in the next town over. When I took the truck there the second dealership said there was nothing they could do as the truck was now basically black-listed for the denial and turned us away without looking at it.

I see all over the internet many issues with that transmission, in that year/model so we aren't the only ones. I can't find an attorney who will help with a denied warranty claim that is knowledgeable as we are not a direct consumer, it was a B2B transaction.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction or what to do before we lose $15k replacing something that Chrysler should be covering under warranty?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Took it to same dealership and they said that it was throwing a code that said the truck transmission had been "overused" due to towing a load too heavy for the vehicle.
Not sure how this is possible, a 3500 with the SO Cummins is the exact same drivetrain and it has a higher towing capacity (2500 trucks are artificially limited to a 10K GVWR which accounts for the lower capacity). Only thing possible that could signal an "overloaded" condition would be the rear air suspension if equipped

Let's see if @RamCares can help

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would reach back out to customer service and plead your case. It's a pain but is there a more consumer friendly dealer they can refer you to. I know times are different now but I spent 40 years as a Chrysler and Jeep service manager and was almost always able to help the customer.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I can say is keep fighting it. They need to honor their warranty. If not, find some lawyer that knows how this works. Last resort is don't pay 15k for a transmission. There are many trans builders that will build a good transmission to handle it way better than stock for less than 15k.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Unfortunately they have you by the balls. $15k for a new transmission, or well over $15k to lawyer up and fight them in court. Because it's not what they know, it's what they can prove in court. If that code could mean any number of things then you may have a legal leg to stand on. Of course that's going to come at the expense of technical witnesses to give testimony on your behalf.

If you can't get it sorted through the dealer and/or Stellantis then you're either paying for a new transmission, or paying a lot more for a lawyer to fight it, and possibly not win.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder if anyone would pay attention if I set the truck on fire in Public Square, downtownlm

Remember the guy that overloaded his truck with a Bed Camper and the frame broke after a year? Once denied on warranty because of an overload, he contacted his insurance company and they paid 15k to fix the frame because of his negligence. Worth a shot, right?

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Somethings now right about this more, information would be nice and is needed along with what codes are showing up now along with info on the original problem that was said to be fixed... I would also get in touch with Ram Cares they were a big help when a dealer by accident used my VIN to do recall work on another truck...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agreed, something doesn't sound right here. Granted if you were going to tow heavy a 3500 would have been a better choice. I also know that a truck purchased/used for a business doesn't get the same warranty as a personal vehicle, but I don't know what's different.

How much weight were you pulling with/putting in the truck? It is POSSIBLE that there's new programming that will determine if you're over the payload/towing limits, but that would require a LOT of sensors detecting weight/torque/etc. But as said, you'd have to be pulling more than a 3500 is capable of to damage the transmission, since the 2500/3500 have the same driveline, just different spring layouts (rear coils vs rear leafs).

Definitely more to this story than meets the eye.

zrock

Reaction score
id be asking the dealer to show you the codes and the log file, they would have had to submit that for warranty. To me it sounds like they screwed up the first repair and they covered their butt on the second repair if they cannot show you the codes and log file.. I know we have to show log files for any trans work before warranty will move forward.

Also did not see the question answered as to what you were towing?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
For those that don’t know, modern computer controlled drivetrains have all the information needed to compute weight.

Torque and hp input from the engine, transmission and wheel speed sensors.

Force, mass, acceleration. If you have any 2 you can compute the 3rd.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
For those that don’t know, modern computer controlled drivetrains have all the information needed to compute weight.

Torque and hp input from the engine, transmission and wheel speed sensors.

Force, mass, acceleration. If you have any 2 you can compute the 3rd.
Pretty much this. It knows what it's pulling. It has to for torque management. Everything is computer controlled and logged on modern vehicles.

OP
OP
Kbritt0309

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Thanks for all the replies! I manage the firm and have been tasked with helping solve this issue. I attached the receipt for maybe someone to take a look at? This is the visit they told us we needed a new transmission and it wouldn't be covered. We have been towing the same trailer and equipment since this failure with a 2017 Chevy 2500 (gasoline, not diesel) and haven't had any trouble. I was absolutely certain the trailer and gear did not exceed any of the weight ratings of the 2500. I did call a Ram Recall number I found on another post and they advised to try to take it to a 3rd dealership. I plan on trying that next week. I'm just at a loss and was hoping someone had someone who knew who to call to get some actual help. Does the attachment show anything that anyone understands?

Attachments

• 2022 Ram Transmission Receipt.pdf
    63.5 KB · Views: 73

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So from what my research found code c15da is a code from air suspension indicating weight limit exceeded, not so much towing capacity exceeded. If you have air suspension, that's where it came from. So add up people in truck,stuff in bed and tongue weight if trailer to find out if you ever exceeded it not really a transmission code.

OP
OP
Kbritt0309

Kbritt0309

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
Thank you Ricktara! I'll look into the air suspension part. We keep all our vehicles/rigs under 26k pounds so that we don't need a CDL driver. That particular vehicle with all equipment in the truck and the trailer was at about 22-23k lbs of weight. Close, but not over. I've taken the truck, trailer, and all equipment to the weight station to get a ticket of the actual curb weight of it all (truck with equipment alone and truck with equipment and trailer with equipment). We purchased 5 trucks in a 6 month period from our local Ram dealer and I was so frustrated that they weren't able to assist us at all. We are in Florida and there are no hills. Just so odd that an older Chevy (not even a diesel) has been pulling/hauling the same weight and equipment for a good while now without issue. I'm going to go to try another dealership an hour away next week and see if I can get any help. So, in your opinion does the Aisin recall have anything to do with our codes?